Considering taking the Plunge on a Festool TS55 saw

Page 1 of 2

There's a 10% off detail on this (expensive) saw, and I am seriously tempted. Anyone have any reasons NOT to get one? I have a good tablesaw, but the ability to deal with sheet goods and natural-edge boards with the Festool is REALLY appealing.
-- Andy Barss

I pondered the TS 55 and TS 75, got the TS 75 for its greater capaicity.
Additionally, the combination of the 75" and 55" track will cut a 4x8 sheet of plywood diagonally. The track needs to be longer than the cut BTY.
With that in mind I have both tracks. The TS 55 comes with the 55" track, the TS 75 comes with the 75" track. If you think you will end up with both tracks the price difference between the TS 55 and TS 75 becomes much smaller. The 75" track is much more pricey per inch than the 55" track.
Getting both tracks and the TS 75 saw at 10% off, IIRC there was less than a $50 difference over the TS 55 and both tracks.
The TS 55 is easier to handle over the TS 75, but that really is only a concern when pulling it out of the Systainer and setting it on the track. Once you set it on the track there is little more effort to actually use the saw, it slides that easily on the track.
: With that in mind I have both tracks. The TS 55 comes with the 55" track, : the TS 75 comes with the 75" track. If you think you will end up with both : tracks the price difference between the TS 55 and TS 75 becomes much : smaller. The 75" track is much more pricey per inch than the 55" track.
: Getting both tracks and the TS 75 saw at 10% off, IIRC there was less than a : $50 difference over the TS 55 and both tracks.
Thanks for the advice. Is it really useful, or just kinda useful? I can manhandle sheets of plywood onto my cabinet saw, but the cuts aren't always totally straight (I have yet to build a proper outfeed table), and given that my shop is small, if I could restrict the cutting of 8' stuff mostly to the Festool that would make it a LOT easier to position the TS where it doesn't completely dominate the shop.
-- Andy

To tell you the truth I have not used it much but business is kinda slow. I, like you, bought mine for cutting up sheet goods. It does a stellar job at that and the cuts equal those from my cabinetsaw. After making a cut it is dfficult to find any thing wrong. I am not getting any younger and do have a 15 roller out feed on my TS but that does not help with getting the material up on the TS and pushing in a straight line if you are ripping a sheet of plywood. I have built a cutting grid that I set on top of 2 saw horses. I lay the plywood up there and make the cuts with the TS75. Much easier than crawling around on the ground. You "will" get totally straight cuts.
All in all you can still make a crooked cut on a TS even with outfeed support With long enough tracks the track saw cuts very straight lines efforlessly. I believe that after cutting a few dozen sheets of plywood the tool will have paid for it self just from the comfort and ease factor. AND if you get the Festool vac with it, there is a greater discount than just the 10% AND dust from the saw is relatively non existant AND the with the combination of the saw and vac both are much quieter than the typical circular saw.
All in all it is hard to justify spending that much money for a circular saw but over time you probably will not think back. The saw is a joy to use.

In a perfect world one would own one of each.
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 20:11:39 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Barss

You'd need some type of table or perhaps enough floor space with a foam underlay to use it. I just bought the TS55 and although I know it will certainly be useful, (my user requirements are kind of unique which explains my purchase) I might have reconsidered the purchase if I had an area to use a tablesaw. Building a decent outfeed table which can also double as a decent working surface would be considerably cheaper and almost as useful.
The decision for me would have rested on how decent a tablesaw I had with a quality blade in it and working space with an outfeed table.

I bought the TS-55, pretty much just to break down sheet goods for the table saw. I didn't see any reason to go for the larger TS-75, though the price difference is minimal (considering the cost of the 75" rail).
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 18:55:32 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Barss

One more thought... I decided to make the FesteringTool plunge because the TS-55 really wasn't that out-of-line when compared to its competition. A Dewalt (corded) TrackSaw is $500, which is right in the FesteringTool range.
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 18:43:40 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

The last workshop show I went to over a year ago had demos of both saws. I didn't (was allowed) to go up and physically examine the cuts that both saws made, but as far as I could determine, they were both equally capable when it came to cutting.
That being said, Festool has a better reputation for quality and customer support. Add onto that the FOG (Festool Owner's Group) which is a virtual gold mine of support, ideas, designs and everything else, you really can't lose with Festool. I had a temporary problem with my CT22 vacuum and after posting a message on FOG, I had two responses from Festool employees the same day as well as various responses from other Festool users.
Go check out the FOG newsgroup and you'll see what kind of support there is. BTW, the 10% off sale ends TODAY.

Didn't know about the FOG. Thanks!
Cannot find the FOG newsgroup. Could you please tell us the address. Thanks.
Vic

On 8/3/2010 3:47 PM, Victor H. wrote:

http://festoolownersgroup.com
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

You do know you're supposed to say BWAHAHAHAHAHA! when you introduce someone to Festool and FOG, right? ;)
On 8/3/2010 5:31 PM, RicodJour wrote:

;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

As with potato chips, I betcha can't go-into-hock with just one.
-- Ohmigawd! Starting over on new computer with no sigs yet!
On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 05:35:26 -0700, Larry Jaques

Heck, a rail costs as much as most other power tools.
...off to Woodcraft to buy a rail, if they have them.

BIOYA, Jaques. ;-)
Max (caught in the vicious cycle)

It sounds as if that'd hurt, you Festering addict, you.
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 18:55:32 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Barss

Sale ends today, July 30, 2010. Better decide quickly.
: On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 18:55:32 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Barss
:> :>There's a 10% off detail on this (expensive) saw, and I am seriously :>tempted. Anyone have any reasons NOT to get one? I have a good tablesaw, :>but the ability to deal with sheet goods and natural-edge boards with the :>Festool is REALLY appealing. : Sale ends today, July 30, 2010. Better decide quickly.
It ends tomorrow, July 31st.
    -- Andy Barss