Consensus on tool brands

With tools these days you are likely to get less than you could with brand loyalty. What you need to do is decide on the tool and what features it needs and how much you are willing to spend. Then look at individual tools that fit your criteria for what is well made. I hapen to think DeWalt is overpriced tor what you get, a few years back Milwaukee was bought by somebody and I don't know of their current quality, Bosch, Makita and hitachi are generally good but may not be the best value for the money. As for Craftsman, they built really good tools for a while and had a good reputation. Then for a coulpe of decades starting late 70's or early 80's they started cutting costs and the quality went down. Recently they started building a "professional" line (don't remember if they call it professional or contractor or what) that is well built. They are not the only company today with a "homeowner/hobbiest" line and a "professional/contractor" line. The hobbiest lines are suitable for occasional use but that is a few times a year. There are some lesser known brands like Jet and Grizzly that sometimes give decent quality without the brand name cost. So to sum up, don't worry so much about brand and learning what to look for in a well built tool and then hunt for those.

ron

Reply to
r payne

snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I'm really impressed with the Kobalt toolboxes. Much stronger that the old craftsman mainstay. Kobalt boxes have better slides and thicker gauge metal with a much better price. I'm not sure I'd buy anything else labeled Kobalt though. I've been happy with my Dewalt Routers and Plate Joiner. I've been eyeing their new line of 200psi compressors but haven't picked one up yet. Craftsman still makes some good socket and wrench sets IME.

Reply to
dayvo

I have a Ridgid table saw, the TS3650 that I'm very happy with. Also have a Ridgid thickness planer and shop vac, also very happy with these. Ridgid tools are carried by Home Depot.

A couple of months ago I picked up a Hitachi 18volt drill with Lithium-Ion batteries that is powerful and the charge lasts a looonnng time.

A Dewalt DW788 scroll saw is the latest addition to my stable.

Other brands/tools: Freud plunge router and biscuit joiner; Porter-Cable D-handle router; Bosch jigsaw; Craftsman radial arm saw (70s vintage); Dewalt deck screwdriver (screwgun); also tools by Ramset, B&D, Ryobi, and even a Chicago Electic chainsaw sharpener.

I see no reason to be a slave to any one manufacturer, unless maybe if you get some fantastic package deal.

Reply to
Lee K