Congrats to Lee Valley

I recently ordered some tools and supplies from Lee Valley in Canada by air mail. Two items ($ 50 worth) were missing on arrival. After an exchange of e-mails, the items were shipped by UPS express service at the company's expense - to France !

What I find remarkable is that there was no trouble whatsoever: the people in that firm don't assume you're trying to rip them off, don't demand endless proof of your statements, don't argue over who is responsible etc. They dealt with the issue the best and easiest way for me, not the cheapest for them. I'd heard the company's service being commended in the past, and can strongly support the praise it gets. It's especially reassuring when dealing from overseas to know that problems if any are going to be settled in a civilised way.

Only one P in my real address/ Un seul P dans ma véritable adresse

Reply to
Peter Wells

De rien, M'sieu.

Salut -

Rob Lee

your statements,

being commended in

in a civilised

Reply to
Robin Lee

Now you know why people all over the world order from them. Stuff happens but they make it right with no-hassle as you found out. That's why they're considered the best customer service organization around...not to mention they sell some great tools too...

Bob S.

your statements,

being commended in

in a civilised

Reply to
Bob S.

Those of us who have traded with this company know it is a class act to be sure. Quality goods at reasonable prices AND great customer support.

-- Bill Rittner R & B ENTERPRISES Manchester, CT

snipped-for-privacy@cox.net

"Don't take this life too seriously.......nobody gets out alive" (Unknown)

your statements,

being commended in

in a civilised

Reply to
Bill Rittner

Yea, A package from Lee Valley Tools came yesterday, addressed to SWMBO. :-) I wonder if it could be the new shoulder plane that I circled in their Christmas catalog. heh, heh, . . . . . .

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

I have been reading their catalogues for the past weeks. I'm planning to drive out before xmas, its only about 1.5 hours from my home.

I think its well worth the trip, I told my wife that I would take her out to dinner if she comes with me....

I hope that she doesn't see my shopping list before I get there.

Daniel Martin

Reply to
D. Martin

SWMBO wants Robin to know that we got our Xmas order yesterday including the Carousel Book on the recently constructed North Bay, ON, carousel. She loves it; it's beautiful. The problem is that now we have to plan a trip to North Bay to see and ride it.

We both find it difficult to open any Lee Valley catalog without ordering something(s). We find the book choices especially attractive and we really enjoy the reprints of the books from early in the 20th century. We have already run out of bookcase space several times. But that is what the tools are for, right?

George

your statements,

being commended in

in a civilised

Reply to
george

Reply to
Jim K

Great company, great people. I had a missing item from an order once. I wasn't charged for it though, and the item was sent promptly shortly after with no shipping charge. Kudos to the folks at Lee Valley!

-- Regards,

Dean Bielanowski, RN. BNurs (QUT) PGDipSci(HMS) Editor, OnlineToolReviews.com The Woodworker's Product Review Resource Online!

40 Woodworking Product Reviews Available!

Reply to
SawEyes

I wonder how close the nearest one is to my home... Probably a good 13 hours anyway. :)

Reply to
Silvan

I agree that's it's nice to have that kind of service, but if the items were lost in transit, then Lee Valley valley replaced items through no fault of their own and provided twice the product for the price of one. I think it's assumed anymore that companies are responsible for loss in transit by UPS / Post Office / International Carrier. If they can prove that they shipped the product, I think that a claim against the carrier is what is necessary. I agree that Lee Valley went above and beyond in this case.

Don

your statements,

being commended in

in a civilised

Reply to
V.E. Dorn

V. E. Dorn responds:

They usually do, I understand, but what I think--let's emphasize "think" here--happens is that Lee Valley takes the case to the shipper, but doesn't make the customer wait for resolution. No sensible company is going to toss money out the window, so LV probably tries to recover from the shipper, while immediately keeping the customer happy with no extra waiting.

Charlie Self

"I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it." George Carlin

Reply to
Charlie Self

Sounds perfectly reasonable. The claims process against a carrier can take a long time. Weeks, maybe months. Not making customers wait is probably a sound business decision because of the good will it generates.

IME, most people pass the cost on to the customer. Your blurfl got lost. If you want it anytime soon, buy another blurfl, and we'll issue you a credit once we settle the claim against the carrier who sent it to Kuala Lumpur. Key thing there is *credit* too.

I'm comforted to know LV is willing to do the most convenient thing for the customer. One more reason why I wish I could afford one of everything. :)

Reply to
Silvan

I'm happy to brag that I live only 3 miles from their store in Calgary, so on the rare occasion that they have to deliver a back-ordered item to me, at no extra charge, of course, I haven't been disappointed by them yet.

Robin - keep up the good work.

Stephen

your statements,

being commended in

in a civilised

Reply to
LeoLiondog

Stores like Lee Valley must be doing good business. We have noticed an increase in interest for woodworking in my area. The more expensive tools seem to be selling very easily. It may have something to do with the aging population going back to their sources.

D.Martin

Reply to
D. Martin

It may have something with the aging boomers starting to retire, too. They face a need to do something worthwhile with their time: fewer and fewer people are will to class retirement as a time to fold it up and get ready to put it away (especially for all the people retiring at or around 55). Can any of us think of many worthwhile, long term activities that are more rewarding than woodworking?

[He says as he goes downstairs to see if there's a football game worth watching--before finishing hanging the last door I'll need to hang in this house (got to mortise the hinges into the door jamb, then add the lockset and pop the pins in).]

Charlie Self

"I have one yardstick by which I test every major problem-and that yardstick is: Is it good for America?" Dwight D. Eisenhower

Reply to
Charlie Self

Model railroading is another one in the same category. The rewards are different, but it's another hobby for people who find chess and fishing too fast-paced. It can go hand in hand on price too.

There's a reason most serious woodworkers and model railroaders are old enough to have kids out of college. When you're 30-something with a big mortgage and lots of kid-related expenses to cover, it's really hard to find money for wrecking wood.

A football game worth watching. There's no such thing. Not 'nless the cheerleaders are but nekkit, and it's halftime all day long. :)

Reply to
Silvan

I expect you will be enjoying the "Lingerie Bowl" played at halftime of the Super Bowl then:)

Reply to
Dave

I think part of it too is those of us who work on computers all day. I don't want to go home and watch TV or work/play on the computer. I would much rather do something less "high tech". Besides, all my co-workers are jealous of the stuff I build. ;-)

Speaking of Lee Valley. I've been thinking of building their European workbench. Anybody build this? If so, would you recommend it?

Wayne

Reply to
waynefb

Not 'nless they're butt nekkit. That lin-jeery don't do nothin' f'r me.

Reply to
Silvan