Confidences

Page 2 of 2

Robatoy wrote:

Waterstones, 85% (plane edge), 80% (chisel). After ~20 edge tools, and several of them multiple times due to use (and others multiple times because they were new and the edge was a bit crumbly before getting down to the good stuff) I can keep the blade at a fairly steady angle while freehanding on the stone. Sharpening chisels gets a lower score because I haven't figure out a way to get the microbevel consistent wrt to the main bevel, every time.
I figure the last 10% or so might take me a few years... unless I stop responding to goofy threads. There oughta be a way to do it while getting uniform wear on the stone.
er
--
email not valid

I'm getting pretty damn good with the bench brush... (now that I put magnets on the damn thing to prevent all those screws being brushed up)
I can still ruin stuff easily on the belt sander but I feel pretty good about my use of the 1/4 sheet palm sander... I mention it because sometimes when I pick it up to use it, it feels like an old friend... or maybe an old, comfortable shoe....
I pretty good on the drill press too, does that count?? Mac
Robatoy wrote:

There's that anecdote about Toshio Odate - there was the usual milling about before the seminar started. He walked in quietly without saying a word and started laying out and cutting a complex joint. Finished it, snapped it together and the crowd, which had grown quiet as he started working, stood in awe. No explanations or descriptions necessary - do what THIS guy does! Or at least try to.
That's an entirely different ballgame than the taped stuff you see on the tube, where they film it until they get it right, or leave out the "oops!" When you see Frank Klausz's videos, you _know_ he gets it right on the first shot, then the film crew sheepishly asks him to do it again as he went too fast to capture it on tape, so he does. No performance anxiety there.

I always have 100% confidence at the outset, which decreases the more I think about it, then increases as the project turns out well. Sometimes the task at hand doesn't cooperate, but that's the task's fault and I don't let it affect my confidence! I try not to let my thinking get in the way of my mind. ;)