concrete slab

I am closing on a house next week. The owner is removing their hot tub but I have also told them they must remove the concrete slab. Is there any problem with removing a slab (it's about 5' X 5') in the cold weather? The temps here are about 15-20 degrees at night, 20 degrees+ during the day.

-------------------------------------

Reply to
neuion

Demolition is demolition ... if it is standalone and not attached to another structure, and any electrical and plumbing are carefully considered, there should be no problem with removing it.

Reply to
Swingman

As an alternative you could ask for a reduction in price and have it removed afterward. It's not exactly like you're going to be landscaping that area right now.

RicodJour

If the ground is frozen getting it unstuck might be a bit of a chore. Especially if it's got proper below-the-frostline footings under it.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Nope. It might crack easier in the cold, and they won't work up quite as much sweat hauling off the pieces. Tell 'em to go for it.

P.S: Don't forget these (tap, tap) Safety Goggles!

-- "I probably became a libertarian through exposure to tough-minded professors" James Buchanan, Armen Alchian, Milton Friedman "who encouraged me to think with my brain instead of my heart. I learned that you have to evaluate the effects of public policy as opposed to intentions." -- Walter E. Williams

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The frozen ground will give less lawn damage moving equipment across it. The frozen concrete should shatter easier but nobody will realize it, anyway.

-------------------------------------

Reply to
Josepi

Put some insulation over the slab so the ground underneath it doesn't freeze it down.

In article , neuion_at_hotmail_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com says... I am closing on a house next week. The owner is removing their hot tub but I have also told them they must remove the concrete slab. Is there any problem with removing a slab (it's about 5' X 5') in the cold weather? The temps here are about 15-20 degrees at night, 20 degrees+ during the day.

Reply to
Josepi

Footings for a spa slab...? There's no 'proper' footings for a spa slab on grade because it doesn't require one.

RicodJour

Equipment? For a 60" square slab? A guy with a 20# sledge would have it broken up in half an hour.

RicodJour

There is no "..." before a question mark either.

Your 'proper' may be different than what somebody else thinks is 'proper'.

Spa expert having a bad day again?

Josepi

I can see you have very little experience with much. Did you think it would float over the house?

Josepi

Heck - build a shed on top of it to hold Barbeque or lawn stuff. Maybe car stuff.

Should be easy enough. Put down a layer of poly under the wall bases and it would allow less future loss and less airflow.

If it is in a bad spot - it will be a lot of noise going out.

Mart> I am closing on a house next week. The owner is removing their hot tub but

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Is there any problem with removing a slab (it's about 5' X 5') in the cold weather? (20 degrees)

Well, why didn't you volunteer to do the work?

There, you've the answer!

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

Personally, I have no problems when watching this type of work.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B