Conan the Librarian...

Page 2 of 2

"Carcase" appears to be a bastardised version of the French ""carcasse"
"definitive" reference it's not, but http://www.bartleby.com/61/46/C0104600.html gives some clue as to the etymology. Carcase is typically used in relation to a body or carrion.
From the Oxford Dictionary website: carcass (Brit. also carcase)
. noun 1 the dead body of an animal, especially one prepared for cutting up as meat. 2 the remains of a cooked bird after all the edible parts have been removed. 3 the structural framework of a building, ship, or piece of furniture.
- ORIGIN Old French carcois and in later use from French carcasse
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (D. A. Clark) wrote in message

Actually, I don't have to re-read my postings to know what I wrote. I tweaked you about the manner in which you made your grand entrance to the newsgroup (much as you did three or four years ago). It was actually intended in good fun, but the level of discourse rapidly deteriorated. (Hint: Just read your own postings in the original thread to see how that happened.)
Anyhow, that's water under the virtual bridge now, no? And I do thank you for the tone of this exchange.

A little growling isn't necessarily a bad thing. But I'll make an honest attempt to limit my bear-baiting in the future.

"The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary; men alone are quite capable of every wickedness." -- Joseph Conrad

I'm pretty sure you're correct on their usage; carcase is the preferred term for casegood, while carcass is indeed a body (most commonly that of a slaughtered animal). I'd also be willing to bet that "carcase" is the English (rather than American) word and comes from the French (probably "carcasse"). (Could this be similar to the "rebate/rabbet" variants?)
Anyhow, I'll do a bit of research and see what I can find.
As a peace offering and to let you know a bit more of why I do what I do, I'll leave you with another Conrad quote: "Of all the inanimate objects, of all men's creations, books are the nearest to us, for they contain our very thoughts, our ambitions, our indignations, our illusions, our fidelity to truth, and our persistent leaning toward error."
Chuck Vance Just say (tmPL) I wonder if that will lead us back to the "Living Trade" thread. :-)
you do that. I'll be waiting with "baited" breath. (Let's see how many idiots correct me, not knowing the reason for that spelling...)
dave
Conan The Librarian wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@txstate.edu (Conan The Librarian) wrote:

"These are not books, lumps of lifeless paper, but MINDS alive on the shelves." -- Gilbert Highet
ObWW: making paper for books is the most extreme form of woodworking.
(Conan The Librarian) wrote:

Hey, this is fun:
The learning of the few is despotism; the learning of the many is liberty.
Francis Bacon
How miserable are the idle hours of an ignorant man.
Aldo Leopold
The palest ink is clearer than the best memory.
Chinese
We are in the position of a little child entering a huge library, the walls of which are filled from floor to ceiling with volumes of books. The books are written in languages the child does not understand. The child seems to note some arrangement in the books-- an order which he only dimly suspects, but can not comprehend.
Albert Einstein re the universe, 1920
Read not to contradict and confute, nor to believe and take for granted, nor for talk and discourse, but to weigh and consider.
Roger Bacon
Bob

My favorite, all encompassing quote, is from Tertullian:
Credo Quia Absurdum Est
(watson - who knows that the harpies will descend and insist on the correct quote - but who is comfortably enamoured of the usual.)
My second favorite is from Augustine:
Love God (or insert your actionable entity of choice) and do as you will.
(watson - who is secure in the knowledge that the City Of God is no more different from the City Of Wreck than any other City is.)
Regards, Tom.
Language is a virus.
William Burroughs.
Ken Muldrew wrote in message

I could not live without books. (Thomas Jefferson)
They use to clearcut forests for newsprint, now it's particle board...
gee chuck, the only thing "not pretty" is that you are an anal twit...and to compound the problem you've very little sense of humor, Mr. Uptight. Bring it on!! :)
(I couldn't resist...take a deep breath and realize I'm just messin' with you, regardless of YOUR own suspicions)
If you come out with guns aflaming, but I sense there's a bit of TIC in your comments, I'll retract my statement about you having NO SOH.
(This should be interesting!)
dave
Conan the Librarian wrote:

Bay Area Dave wrote:

Frankly, I don't care what you think about my SOH.

Only if you like playing with yourself, 'cause I'm done with you.
Chuck Vance
wow, are you CRANKY! (AND, as I suspected, you have ZERO, NADA , sense of humor). I'm severely disappointed in you, Chuck...
dave
Conan the Librarian wrote:

Bay Area Dave, are these your stats?
762 usenet posts in the last 14 1/2 days? 52.5 posts per day? At 7 days a week and 8 hour a day, that's 6.6 posts per hour? That's more than a post every 10 minutes.
Man you need your own radio talk show. :)
On 27 May 2004 12:21:36 -0700, Bannerstone

You misspelled "762 trolls", Mr. B. And why are so many of you guys still so intent on responding to them? The rest of us are all sick and tired of his trolling. Feh!
- Yea, though I walk through the valley of Minwax, I shall stain no Cherry. http://diversify.com
of course I didn't post 762 times in 2 weeks. geez, you are a frickin' IDIOT!! How do you dream up such nonsense?? I posted an average of about 19 posts per day over the past 16 days, spread out over several newsgroups.
asshole!
dave
Bannerstone wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (D. A. Clark) wrote in message
Mensa Measurement - from the Mensa Magazine a long time ago... early 80s(?)
1. Measure with micrometer
2. Mark with chalk
3. Cut with chain saw
4. Sledge hammer to fit
Agkistrodon - who was a Mensan until he figured out that he did not want to be a member of any club that would have him as a member
snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com (Agkistrodon) wrote in message

Did I follow the proscribed proceedure?
snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com (Agkistrodon) wrote in message

Groucho Marx
I think Groucho Marx was Jewish and as a rule, those guys have pretty good judgement about such things.
bob g.