Computerised Bandsaw?

I once saw a few years ago an app in Windows 3.11 that operated a glass engraver to replicate an on-screen design. Does anyone know of software and hardware that will allow me to create a shape onscreen then have a bandsaw/jigsaw cut out the shape for me please? The material will only be thick card or thin ply, nothing heavy duty,
BJ
BJ wrote:

BJ...
You can do that with a CNC router. I have bits as small as 1/32"; but even smaller bits are available.
What size workpiece do you want to be able to cut?
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

routers (and other spindle tools) lend themselves much better to computer control than saws, especially for cutting curves, where the material will have to be rotated through the cut.....

The card is about 1.5 mm thick, max 2cm by about 30 cm rectangles
BJ
BJ wrote:

BJ...
You might find the stuff at http://www.precisecut.com useful for this size range. I have a local acquaintance who uses their DeskMaster 1420 to cut veneer. You can see that machine at http://www.precisecut.com/products/equipment/deskmaster/deskmaster.htm
I have a ShopBot PRT-96 (96" x 48" x 6") with a 5hp Colombo spindle capable of this kind of work. On the ShopBot forum (http://www.talkshopbot.com ) earlier in the week I saw a PRT-48 (48" x 48" x 6") with software, computer, monitor, and controller (but without router spindle) being offered for sale used at US$2K. If you were to install a small trim router or laser cutter, it might do a truly "gee-whiz" job for you - and allow room to set up multiple/larger workpieces.
HTH
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

Depending on the thickness of card you may be able to get away with a sign cutting machine, some use rotating bits, others use swiveling blades. If you want to go the DIY route there are plenty of inexpensive CNC home designs.
However, unless you are going to buy a commercial package, be prepared for a steep learning curve.
If you need links to self build CNC sites contact me off list.
Bernard R

BJ
BJ wrote:

Depending on how deep you need to cut and how deep your pockets are a Versalaser might do the job for you <http://www.versalaser.com . Unfortunately their site is not very rich in useful information about its capabilities--lots of "gee whiz you can make stuff that looks like this" but not much on "will cut through x inches of Peruvian walnut in a single pass".

--
--John