Computer mice made from wood

This is pretty cool:

'd like to have one, but the prices are a bit steep for me:

Steve Turner

Steve Turner wrote in news:jq8qp9$edv$1 @dont-email.me:

This could be a good project for learning precision woodworking. It doesn't take much wood, and the guts are easily available. You can carve the top if you want, or some simple designs can be done with a bandsaw and sander. (My mouse has a slight arc from back to front and is flat across the surface.)

Oh, to sum up the first link: Use a CNC machine to carve out a mouse in wood.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Paul T.

Reply to
P.H.T.

Hey, there's something I might be able to make money with on my new CNC router. I'm slowly clearing a hole in my shop for it so I can finish it...

I wonder how many he sells at 800-1250 euros apiece, though.

-- Self-development is a higher duty than self-sacrifice. -- Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Reply to
Larry Jaques

1

Where are you at with that thang C-less?

Reply to
Robatoy

I think his first project will be a bow-saur...

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I ain't "at" nowhere, Toy. ;)

Probably 90% now. I learned a lot about machining in the 220 man hours we put into the build. I haven't drilled and tapped as many holes in the rest of my life as I did with this beastie.

I have it shoehorned into my own shop with barely enough clearance to scrunch by it. I'm selling tools to get more room. I thought I had cleared out enough, but it didn't leave any work room.

The engine hoist came in handy to pick her up and move her into the shop. She weighs about #150 sans the MDF. That's one other thing I need to buy and install.

To-Do: I have to notch a place for the chain to fit better through the gantry side plate, dismantle to paint her, and finally wire her up. Oh, I need to make and pipe a dust collector hood to the router, too. and wire up a relay for the spindle.

I'm not sure I like the chain drive, though. I may switch over to toothed belt, but I'll get her up and running first.

-- In reality, serendipity accounts for one percent of the blessings we receive in life, work and love. The other 99 percent is due to our efforts. -- Peter McWilliams

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Chain on X and Y, screw on Z?

P I C T U R E S !!!!! Dammit. :-)

Reply to
Robatoy

edv$1

I call that AdzTech.

Reply to
Robatoy

1

You know, if you could offer a matching, well executed, desk set with turned pens you could probably raise the price to 2000 euros.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Didn't I tell you guys that I found the pieces I made for the bowsaur? After all that, I decided that I really didn't want/need one. ;)

OK, here are a few pics. I don't have the dedicated site up yet.

reality, serendipity accounts for one percent of the blessings we receive in life, work and love. The other 99 percent is due to our efforts. -- Peter McWilliams

Reply to
Larry Jaques

And is that a Crapsman router table I see?

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

throw it away.

2 years from now, you may be able to see the floor.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:4fcab72a$0$1294 $c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

It's a good place to start. Consider all those assorted things you've kept for a few years because you might need them later. If you haven't even thought about them for 18 months, you probably won't remember them when the time comes to use them.

The rule doesn't have to be applied strictly, it's just a good place to start. The process does work, I've used it.

By the way... If you bought something for a project and didn't use it, the big box stores will take it back sometimes a year later and give you credit for it. Tools and "style"-type items (curtains, rugs, etc) you may not get full credit for, but things like pipe and fittings are common enough they almost never get clearanced out. Good way to get rid of something for a project you wound up not doing.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I have Lew filtered, so I hadn't seen this. For once, though, he's right.

I've been in "declutter" mode for about 6 months now, after reading _Clear Your Clutter with Feng Shui_ by Karen Kingston, and I've offloaded a dozen pickups worth of "stuff" since then. Some went to the Goodwill, some went to the metal recycler, some to the dump (extra

2/3 of trashcan filled each week for several months), and some to the local freecycle type of folks. Some is going to Craigslist and eBay. I'm liking the leaner me. (I've offloaded 22 lbs from myself, too, and my BP is down 50 points, 122/73 this afternoon.)

Ayup. I tossed most of my mixed screw/bolt/nail boxes and will buy a box of each size I need as I need it instead of just buying 3 or 22. That works great for the fasteners I often need. I found a local bolt distributor where I got boxes of 5/16" x 1" NC zinc plated bolts, nuts, washers, lockwashers, and nuts for a total price of $7 and change, about 18% of the price at a hardware store.

I keep all new product unless I got out of that line of work and know I will never need it. I keep all single (and some dupes) tools, but get rid of the types I'll never use, the broken ones, and the really cheap crap that came in a $1 box at a garage sale.

I brought home about 1,000' of 1/8" x 5/8" nylon "tape" from a sale yesterday, and will keep several 100'+ hanks while giving several others away. It was used by the Hunter fiber optic/telephone/DSL people when putting up a new feed in our neighborhood. It was a buck. It's rated for 1,800 lbs.

Anyway, I can actually see _carpeting_ in several of my rooms nowadays.

-- Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear. -- Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

"Mike Marlow" wrote:

------------------------------------- Really, name 10.

-------------------------------------

---------------------------

Want to bet?

---------------------------

----------------------------- It's all relative.

-----------------------------

-------------------------------- Tools don't count except for cheap throw aways.

I lived for years with a company policy that you cleaned out your files yearly and threw away anything over one year old.

Engineering documents were exempted.

As the lawyers said, you can't be forced to produce something you don't have.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Oh, I'd remember them, just maybe not where me or my wife last placed them! : ) I often repeat, if you don't know where it is, you might as well not have it! And yes, that includes her car keys!

Reply to
Bill