computer in wood shop

I've noticed laptops in more than a few videos I watched and I thought that thing is toast. Some of the diy cnc stuff, etc.

if I ever can't live without a pc in the shop i will get one of these

logicsupply.com/solutions/environments/dust-proof-computers/

i did see a cnc lathe that uses a saw blade recently but no dust problems now if I try to make my own nah never mind

Reply to
Electric Comet

I have a large tower in the shop - taller than most with 10" fans top and side... Larger than normal fan system on the CPU.

And be sure to have a UPS on the power line for it - even a small one will protect it and if the temps reach 100F expect power supply dying.

I lost one supply in 10 years (company is 10 years old) - in house, I lost one and found the old design disk was the issue. Bad filter.

You can put them in enclosures and have positive pressure air into it and have cooling..... liquid on the CPU and all of that.

Lots of people haul in and out . Most laptops can't hook up to many CNC due to lack of a parallel port or a serial port. Caution there.

I do CNC plasma.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

100F shouldn't kill the PS you mean 100F ambient air temp?

the ones I was looking at are fanless passively cooled they are not cheap but they should last long

those I looked at have serial ports, they might have parallel too that outfit does some thoughtful designs

is the work environment hot?

plasma is used to cut metal objects I guess is it messy? can high pressure water do the same?

Reply to
Electric Comet

I open our desktop here in the house once or twice a year and clean it. Yo u would have to do it more often in a shop environment. If it was me, I w ould run down a thrift-shop special and put it in the shop and move files t o a house machine with a flash drive.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

How about a simple little WIFI network then the files stay in the house and the shop machine just works on them. UpTo Date all the time. :-Z

Reply to
John G

I have an Acer Chromebook C-7 in the shop and an Archer C-7 router in the h ouse, which you will need, unless you have a separate internet connection i nstalled. It saves those walks to the house, shedding dust and chips throu gh the house, every time I was to check something or look something up. Th en there are the woodoworking videos during the breaks. :-)

The Chromebook was under $200, and while it is small, it is certainly adequ ate and has no problems in the 95 degree, high humidity, here in southern A labama.

I mentioned the particular router because it has the range to pump a signal the 175-200 feet to the shop, through three or four walls and still give e nough signal to have about 8meg download capacity from a 15meg connection.

Deb

Reply to
Dr. Deb