Computer in the shop

I think he meant "Release 2000, seats". I can't imagine any company in the world having 2000 seats of Autocad. Talk about bankruptcy.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Endres, PE
[...]

Maybe as an added incentive you should offer them a cpoy of each drawing of the furniture, an item that would very probably be welcomed by the museum people.

Reply to
Juergen Hannappel

The Univac I worked on (or one of its siblings) is in there too. I saw it there 20 years ago. Made me feel old then :-). Hmmmm - maybe this post belongs in the "getting old" thread.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

The knobs on the 360/50 in the Smithsonian are mine. I was up there a few years ago and noticed the ones they had were broken and a few were the wrong style. I talked to the guy who ran the exhibit and arranged to get him some authentic ones from my junk box.

Reply to
Greg

Or when sme smartass makes his own spelling mistakes... Blame it on the stupid spell checker...

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G.

Interesting concept, but I don't draw anything I'm not paid for. It's bad enough sitting in front of a CAD workstation all day, I'm sure not about to do it for fun. What I'd most likely do is simply make a quick rough sketch with dimensions. I'm not after historical accuracy, just inspiration.

Jon E

Reply to
Jon Endres, PE

Dammit. I proof read that three times just to avoid that vry problem.

Oh well.

I don't use spell checkers, incidentally.

(Yes, I said "vry" on purpose.)

Reply to
Silvan

yeah i am a drafter and designer, i am pretty good at site grading and earthworks, we are doing alot of schools all over ohio.

Reply to
Rick Cox

One of the hazards of being a smart-ass, I suppose...

Just got in from replacing the sheetrock on the ceiling in the garage. God, I hate fiberglass insulation! And damned termites!

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G.

Quite. It's my nature though.

Bleah. Reminds me, I need to do the rounds and make sure I don't have any termites in the house. I definitely *had* termites. One exterior door frame was nothing but paint. *Sneaky* little bastards.

Reply to
Silvan

Yea they are! They ate a portion of one garage (shop) wall and the roof framing, and after replacing all of that, I pulled sheetrock down

15 feet away and found they had tunneled under the sheetrock/stud junction to it as well. I treated the soil around the entry point, replacement sill plates, and framing with Bifenthrin. Fortunately, I saw no evidence of current activity - just a lot of abandoned mud trails. Industrious little fu#%ers...

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G.

Gosh Rick.... I can relate... lol

I am retired and if I added up all the money I have spent on computers ..starting with a TI 49'er I guess I would also be sick.. BUT I used and abused every computer I have ever owned..so I got my money worth... no regrets... I would imagine my Cabinet Saw (purchased in the mid 80's would be completely worthless today if Saws were improved even 1/1000th as much or as fast as Computers.... On the other Hand I restore and tinker with old cars (another hobby) and my 64 high horserpower (365) solid lifter Corvette is worth 15 times what I paid for it in 1965 and and is still worth 80 to 90 percent of the cost of a new Z06 Corvetteand it is NOT depreciating a cent ..BUT IT IS NOT.. 10 percent as GOOD A CAR as the new .ones... Hell of a lot more fun to drive BUT honestly nowhere as good a car as even a new FORD (did I say that 4 letter word??) so sometimes old outdated "things" do hold their value

Bob Griffiths

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G
[snip]

Showed this to LOML to prove that other folks don't think I'm worthless. Now she thinks you're a moron too. Sorry. j4

Reply to
jo4hn

My experiences have been mixed. I just lost a hard drive in one of my systems, a Seagate, that just would not load any more, or recognize. I had a Western Digital drive (20 gig) that went for about 4 weeks in a web server before going toes up. Of course, that was after I had run a burn in on it for a week.... Apparently WD has had some quality issues with the 20 gig drives, as my supplier said they had gotten a LOT of the 20 gig units back. The bigger drives seem reliable...but that 20 gig mech just was a bit flaky.

controller (either separate or built into the motherboard). The controller takes care of all that, and, at a fast enough speed that there should not really be a hit. Now...if you are trying to do it with sofware emulation...good luck...even if you ARE using Linux.

Depends on what is important to save. Any data that is not backed up on at least ONE separate media is subject to loss. I would go with having everything on the most fault tolerant media possible. After all, it can really darken one's day to finish up an 8-10 hour editing session and have a drive crash and lose everything. Regards Dave Mundt

Reply to
Dave Mundt

My practice is to constantly write to three hard drives: - Work on either the desktop or laptop's C: - Check the work into the version control system running on the desktop's E: - "Get latest version" to the C: of the other computer.

At the end of the day I often zip everything and send it to an email account that I access only by webmail so if the office burned down overnight the latest & greatest is safely offsite.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Hey greg,

Could you send me an email, I tried to reply directly to you, but it didn't work.

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Mystic
]

No need to be sorry I actually do not give a damn (honest I do not ) what others think of me... lol

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G