Computer in the shop

Page 3 of 3
The price of a well equipped fault tolerant and secure web server makes gaming machines look cheap. I'm setting one up now. It sits in my office so I need to design an attractice--and sound deadening--hardwood cabinet for it, getting back to the subject of this group.
Pete http://www.Pistoleer.com - Retail & Wholesale (PH/FX 618-288-4588) __________________________________________________________________ A-Zoom snap-caps, Bore-Stores cases, Kleen-Bore gun care products Pachmayr grips & pads, Targets, HKS speedloaders, FREE classifieds

three
Damn, have you seen the prices of the Vic20's and Commodore 64's at flea markets and things??? Collectors are paying a pretty penny for them. There's one or the other, I can't remember which, in the Smithsonian. I'm hanging on to both my Vic 20 and Commodore.
--
"Cartoons don't have any deep meaning.
says...

The Univac I worked on (or one of its siblings) is in there too. I saw it there 20 years ago. Made me feel old then :-). Hmmmm - maybe this post belongs in the "getting old" thread.
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

The knobs on the 360/50 in the Smithsonian are mine. I was up there a few years ago and noticed the ones they had were broken and a few were the wrong style. I talked to the guy who ran the exhibit and arranged to get him some authentic ones from my junk box.
I built my first computer years ago. At that time, I had to program my operatg system inmachine language. Over the years, I have rplaced parts until today, none of the original parts are left.
The experience and learning led me into being a field service engineer for machine tool builders. After fifteenyears of getting on a airplane every Sunday, I took a job in R&D at McDonald Douglas. I acquired severl patents with machine tool modeling software programs. The sent me to colleg where I earned a BS degree in Computer Science. I retired after 10 years there.
Sumner Sargent said:

Spelling apparently wasn't a criteria for employment... <g> Nah... I didn't just say that...
Greg G.
Greg G. wrote:

Don't you hate it when you dig at someone for a spelling mistake, and then sme smartass comes along to point out your own spelling mistake?
The word "criteria" is plural. You can't have "a criteria." You have "a criterion."
Damn Greek words.
Silvan said:

Or when sme smartass <sic> makes his own spelling mistakes... <g> Blame it on the stupid spell checker...
Greg G.
Greg G. wrote:

Dammit. I proof read that three times just to avoid that vry problem.
Oh well.
I don't use spell checkers, incidentally.
(Yes, I said "vry" on purpose.)
Silvan said:

One of the hazards of being a smart-ass, I suppose... <g>
Just got in from replacing the sheetrock on the ceiling in the garage. God, I hate fiberglass insulation! And damned termites!
Greg G.
Greg G. wrote:

Quite. It's my nature though.

Bleah. Reminds me, I need to do the rounds and make sure I don't have any termites in the house. I definitely *had* termites. One exterior door frame was nothing but paint. *Sneaky* little bastards.
Silvan said:

Yea they are! They ate a portion of one garage (shop) wall and the roof framing, and after replacing all of that, I pulled sheetrock down 15 feet away and found they had tunneled under the sheetrock/stud junction to it as well. I treated the soil around the entry point, replacement sill plates, and framing with Bifenthrin. Fortunately, I saw no evidence of current activity - just a lot of abandoned mud trails. Industrious little fu#%ers...
Greg G.
The first home computer that I saw was a Altair. It had toggle switches instead of a keyboard and programmed in binary , all for circa a thousand or so. I passed it up and hand built one that programmed in machine language. Next the CPM operating system came out and I rebuilt to accommodate it. Over the years parts and circuit boards were replaced. Today there is nothing left of the original machine. My upgrades were a learning curve and less expensive than trashing a machine every two years.
From my learned skills, I got a job as a field service engineer working on Bridgeport and Pratt and Whitney computer controlled milling machines. After fifteen years of getting on a airplane every sunday, I got a R&D job with Douglas Aircraft. They paid all expenses and put me through college where earned a AS degree in computer maintenance and a BS degree in computer science.
I retired about ten years ago and have a horse ranch on forty acres in Colorado with a nice barn and a forty two by fifty modern, shop. I'm busy learning C++ programming language and autocad. I have a couple of patentable ideas on the drawing board and am busier retired than when I worked.
Computers have enriched my life and haven't cost me very much.
Regards: Sumner Sargent
Gosh Rick.... I can relate... lol
I am retired and if I added up all the money I have spent on computers ..starting with a TI 49'er I guess I would also be sick.. BUT I used and abused every computer I have ever owned..so I got my money worth... no regrets... I would imagine my Cabinet Saw (purchased in the mid 80's would be completely worthless today if Saws were improved even 1/1000th as much or as fast as Computers.... On the other Hand I restore and tinker with old cars (another hobby) and my 64 high horserpower (365) solid lifter Corvette is worth 15 times what I paid for it in 1965 and and is still worth 80 to 90 percent of the cost of a new Z06 Corvetteand it is NOT depreciating a cent ..BUT IT IS NOT.. 10 percent as GOOD A CAR as the new .ones... Hell of a lot more fun to drive BUT honestly nowhere as good a car as even a new FORD (did I say that 4 letter word??) so sometimes old outdated "things" do hold their value
Bob Griffiths
Bob Griffiths
[snip]

Showed this to LOML to prove that other folks don't think I'm worthless. Now she thinks you're a moron too. Sorry.     j4
]

others think of me... lol
Bob Griffiths

I am on a P166 as we speak. I do have a faster machine but this is my internet cruiser.