Computer in the shop

Page 1 of 3
I am a long time wreck lurker. and a recent post by Jim Laumann "A 'puter in the shop" got me thinking.
In 1994 when I purchased my first house I wanted to buy a RAS to help with some of the fix ups needed. My father who lived close by talked me into getting a tablesaw because he already had a ras and said it would be nice to have both between us. So it was off to the local sears and I purchased a contractors table saw. I purchased the saw for $449.00 and I could not believe that I spent that much on something I didn't event know how to use.
About a year later, my wife and I decided to purchase our first computer. I am a CAD tech and I did not want anything less than I was using at work at the time. So I went to the local computer shop and had one built to try to save money. I had to have that new HOTTT Pentium chip. I was really excited to get the Pentium 90 that ran so hot it needed its own fan. I paid $150 bucks extra to double the RAM to 16 megs, and I got a huge 15" svga monitor. Final price for that computer was $2300 but man was I styling......AOL at a whopping 14.bps ...... life doesn't get any better....
Now 2004, I have a used $449.00 craftsman table saw that I still thoroughly enjoy, and that $2300 computer is darkening some corner in a land fill right now..... what I wouldn't give to has that $2300 in tools now, Funny what we are willing to spend money on.
Have a good evening Rick
[...]

thoroughly
right
I have thought of this often. Spend a grand on a computer and it will be worth exactly nothing in 10 years whereas a grand invested in a jointer, tablesaw, or any blurfl will not only still be useful, but it will retain resale value.
Frank
On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 04:00:03 GMT, "Frank Ketchum"

And a grand's worth of time invested in going to see furniture that is worth emulating will pay off in greater measure than either investment in hardware. Too much of this newsgroups's time is taken up with the investigation of the "How' in preference to the "What" or the "Why".
Pay for a plane ticket and sit in front of a Goddard-Townsend Chest for a couple of hours. Go to your local museum and visit the best examples of furniture to be found there. Pay for a nice lunch and a good glass of wine and think about the why and the what of the pieces that you best like.
Take your money and buy a good piece of furniture - take it into your house and your mind and think on what makes it good.
Thomas J. Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.) (Real Email is tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet) http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 /

Excellent advice.
I consider myself lucky to live 2 hrs from NYC and Boston, 1 hr from both Old Sturbridge Village and Hancock Shaker Village, and have some excellent art galleries that can be visited on a long lunch break.
Only recently did I realize the true value of visiting these places in the pursuit of this craft.
Barry

Agreed. I recently visited my town's local museum, a place that I have only been once before. Always thought it was for the tourists. They have quite an impressive early american furniture collection that I spent not nearly enough time looking at. Unfortunately, they don't let you touch it.
Jon E
On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 00:16:51 GMT, "Jon Endres, PE"

They don't let "the public" touch it. Try a different approach:
Write-- (write, don't just show up)-- and explain that you'd like to take some measurements during a quiet / slow / closed time that is convenient for the curator. Explain that you'll wear cotton gloves and use only a cloth tape measure to do your measuring. Assure them that you won't let a ball point pen anywhere near the furniture-- you'll do all your recording with a pencil.
A museum's purpose is not only to archive knowledge, but to disseminate it. If you show you have a real interest, I bet you'll be suprised at the positive response a respectful request brings you.
Michael
On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 04:23:45 GMT, Michael Baglio

Failing that, try to take digital pictures with a known sized object in the photo. I've been known to drop a crisp dollar bill into a photo for scale purposes. <G>
Digital cameras are also useful in "No Photo" areas, as they can be set to video mode, and held at your side. You can then pull the frame(s) you want later.
Barry
"Michael Baglio @nc.rr.com>" <mbaglio<NOSPAM> wrote in message wrote:

only
quite
Umm. Hadn't thought of that. Since I am well acquainted with both the director and curator, I guess I'll just ask. I like the dollar bill trick that Barry gave.
Thanks.
Jon
[...]

[...]
Maybe as an added incentive you should offer them a cpoy of each drawing of the furniture, an item that would very probably be welcomed by the museum people.
writes:

trick
Interesting concept, but I don't draw anything I'm not paid for. It's bad enough sitting in front of a CAD workstation all day, I'm sure not about to do it for fun. What I'd most likely do is simply make a quick rough sketch with dimensions. I'm not after historical accuracy, just inspiration.
Jon E

Careful, Tom. If that high horse you're on bucks, it's a long way to the ground. :)
Anyone who has spent a modicum of time on the wreck will notice that a lot of people just plane "get off" on the tools. Just try to wipe that shit-eating grin off my face when I'm blasting away with a pneumatic nailer. And how many of us will admit to getting a plane tuned to within a gnat's ass and reducing a board to a huge pile of curlies? I could go on with other examples, but I think you get my drift. Sometimes (sometimes, mind you) I don't ask for or desire anything deeper.
--
Jeff Thunder
The From: header above is wrong on porpoise
On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 04:09:10 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@luthien.comcast.net (Jeff Thunder) wrote:

Just like the computer guys. <G>
Barry
Yeah, I feel your pain. I just sold a bunch of old computers that I had laying around, a Sun Ultra 5 and a old DEC Alpha among them, that I had purchased used from clients over the years to mess around with at home. I figure about $1800.00 worth of stuff when I bought it. Got about $175.00 for it. At least I'll be able to get that nice Lie-Nielsen block plane I've had my eye on.
Kevin

'puter
use.
money.
the
thoroughly
right
I always stay off the bleeding edge of computer technology. It saves me a fortune.

I sorta have to stay somewhat near the bleeding edge, as I run Autocad on three workstations in my office. One finally died, so it gave me the justification (to myself, I guess) to buy new parts for two of them. So now, what was a Pentium 700 (the dead one) and an old Celeron 350 are now Athlon 2600+ with 1 GB memory, 80 Gb drives, and new CD-Rw's. Not leading edge by any means, but they are ssssssmokin' fast compared to the old ones.
Now I just need to scrape together my pennies for better monitors.
OBWW. Nada. Zip. Nothing. Oh well.
Jon E

for
had
I have been upgrading every 3-4 years. What I am running now is a Compaq with a 667 Celeron. I may keep this one a bit longer! I don't do any gaming so I don't need blistering speed. This crate surf's the net and groups just fine. I figure when software makes its next jump and everything isn't compatable anymore then it will be time. Greg
That's what I say about my Compaq, pent II, 333 with win.98 1st edition in it. Work's just fine for me. Tony D.

gaming
just
Interesting thread. I've been posting in that other one, too, but what the heck. It seems lately I've been indulging in both the computer AND woodworking purchasing arenas. I went from having a crapsman table saw and a few benchtop tools about 2 years ago, to having a Unisaw with 50" Bies, 3 routers, full-size drill press, bandsaw, 6" jointer, 12.5" planer, mortiser, scroll saw, OSS, etc. etc. etc. I don't think I'll be ALLOWED to buy any more tools for a LONG time. Good thing to know I won't need to hehe.
As for the PC department. I remember how excited my dad was when he brought home the Commodore 64 - I can't remember what year that was, I was just a kid. But, I do remember starting about age 12 or so (probably when we got that thing), being the ONLY kid to turn in typed reports at school and I'm sure getting browny points for it. My friends would spend hours at my house playing games on our BLAZING 286. I remember playing games on 5.25" floppies, where you had to change discs about every 15 minutes (they came with like 15 or something). So, what do I do now? Just before Christmas I got the go ahead and bought a $3300 computer. P4 3.2 Ghz HT processor, 2 Gb of DDR400 memory, 500 Gb RAID 0 hard drive set up, 8x DVD R/RW drive, 48x CD-RW drive, 256 Mb Radeon 9800 XT video card, 6.1 THX capable sound card, surround sound speakers (for my PC!!), TV tuner card & software (who needs TiVO??), and a 20" LCD flatscreen monitor. The thing is, I still get impatient when I start the computer hehe. It only takes 8 seconds from the power button to the desktop. Oh how times have changed.
Mike

'puter
use.
money.
the
thoroughly
right
"Who needs TiVo" That is one thing I dont mind spending money on... TiVo and the New Yankee workshop.....Or.....Nahmie on my time...... Try it you will like it have a good day Rick