Computer dest to desk

Page 1 of 2
I was building a computer desk. I've taken the specs from staples catalogs and desks I've seen in stores. But I've switched gears and deceided to make it a desk with a 30" working surface vs. the 20" surface that was going to be on the computer desk.
I need to glue and dowel another 10" piece to the one I'm working with. And I was wondering if there are any tricks to getting the dowels and the dowel holes to line up..? I still have to buy the clamps to hold it together.
I originally started with a 20" inch top because that is about the limit that will fit in my car. It is 20" x 52" (the size of the space I want to put the desk in) and it is 11/16th thick.. Is there a guide or something I can pick up at harbor freight to drill consistant holes for the dowels?
I'm assuming the two planes will line up as the wood I'm using says it's preprepped, presanded..
TIA
Charles Pisano wrote:
> I was building a computer desk. I've taken the specs from staples > catalogs and desks I've seen in stores. But I've switched gears and > deceided to make it a desk with a 30" working surface vs. the 20" > surface that was going to be on the computer desk. > > I need to glue and dowel another 10" piece to the one I'm working with. > And I was wondering if there are any tricks to getting the dowels and > the dowel holes to line up..? I still have to buy the clamps to hold it > together.
Cheaper, faster, and better.
Buy another 4x8 sheet of material and cut out a 30" piece.
Use existing 20" piece for something else.
Lew
How is that cheaper? Lowe's charges 60 dollars delivery charge. I can't get a 4x8 in my car or I would have started with a piece that size to begin with..
Charles Pisano wrote:

Did it for years.
Good grief, think.
Lew
Have you thought about using Kreig Pocket screws to get it all lined up? Then all you'd have to do would be make sure the mating edges were true (jointed). Course that all depends on if you have the jig.
On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 22:54:36 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Charles Pisano) wrote:

Kreig pocket screws..? Not sure what those are? Re: Computer dest to desk Group: rec.woodworking Date: Thu, Jun 28, 2007, 8:22pm (EDT-3) From: snipped-for-privacy@iinet.com Have you thought about using Kreig Pocket screws to get it all lined up? Then all you'd have to do would be make sure the mating edges were true (jointed). Course that all depends on if you have the jig. On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 22:54:36 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Charles Pisano) wrote: How is that cheaper? Lowe's charges 60 dollars delivery charge. I can't get a 4x8 in my car or I would have started with a piece that size to begin with..
On Jun 28, 7:54?pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Charles Pisano) wrote:

Are you on the moon? I would find somebody with a PU and hand them a 20 to get it home. How far from Lowes are you?
Bob AZ
LOL I was actually at a Home Depot and over heard a guy as assistants loaded lumber.
"Careful I'm out on a test drive."

Charles Pisano wrote:

You might want to consider getting a Thule rack with a set of 53" bars. Not super cheap but I think you'll find it useful. Carries plywood nicely.
--John
Charles Pisano wrote:

Loew's will cut it to managable pieces. Free.
How is that cheaper? Lowe's charges 60 dollars delivery charge. I can't get a 4x8 in my car or I would have started with a piece that size to begin with..

for $19. Or, if you need it all day, you rent a truck from Uhaul.
The last time I needed a truck, I loaded a 4x8 sheer of 1/4 plywood, 2 bifold door units, and 6 2x4. The total price for transportation was the above $19.
Jim
Two choices. A doweling jig that clamps to the edge and guides the drill bit. Or dowel centers. Dowel centers are cheap but less accurate. You drill one hole, then put the dowel center into the hole. Line up the other piece of wood, then squeeze the two pieces together. The dowel center creates a dimple that you use to drill the second hole.
Google "doweling jig" amazon has a good assortment.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
BTW, Lowes will cut larger pieces of wood to your specifications.
Mitch
On Jun 28, 9:50 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Charles Pisano) wrote:
SNIP " > I need to glue and dowel another 10" piece to the one I'm working with. "
No, you don't. If you have a flat workbench/surface large enough, you can line up the two bits after applying Titebond II to each edge and weight and clamp them together. It should work fine for your purposes. You can, add pocket hole screws as suggested ( but that will cost you, too.) Assuming you can joint the mating edges neatly (as you would need/want to do if using dowels). Doweling jigs, as any other tool, require some craftsmanship to assure perfection. SEARS has a nice set and there are dozens of choices on the market. But you will wind up spending enough to warrant purchasing another 4 x 8" sheet and having Lowes cut it to 31" x 53" (to fit in / on car and cutting it to exact size when you get home (Lowes does NOT warranty perfect cuts).
By the way, where are you getting the 10" x 52" piece from? Already have it, I assume.
Are you planning to add edging? Or are you simply going to sand the edges of the plywood? A lip is a good idea on a car desk and the edging can serve this purpose as well as helping hold the two pieces together. Things tend to move around in a vehicle.
Planning on a LAPTOP? Planning to secure it against sudden stops?
Planning on a DC to AC converter? Using Cigar Lighter Socek or direct wire to battery? Securing the converter? GPS?

On Jun 28, 9:50 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Charles Pisano) wrote:

By he way, what kind of vehicle do you have that can accommodate a 30 x 52" surface and you??
alogs and desks I've seen in stores. But I've switched gears and

I made a desk basically out of a 4 by 8 sheet of oak ply from Lowes. It is a corner desk and shown on my crappy web site together with plans .Check under desks, http://mikehide2.tripod.com . mjh

-- I made a desk basically out of a 4 by 8 sheet of oak ply from Lowes. It is a --corner desk and shown on my crappy web site together with plans .Check under -- desks,http://mikehide2.tripod.com . mjh
Nice desk!
Question: do you get any sag or flex in the center in front of the monitor or is the ply strong enough to support itself?
No I did splines both at the sides and in the center. seems to work fine , thats where I am e,mailing you from right now .regards mjh

Mike Hide.. Nice work..! I'd have to inhale alot of sawdust and shellac to get those kind of skils.. I like that mulitstation (you say 2?? looks like more) computer desk with an ELEAVATOR..!?! Funking show off..!
A desk I saw at walmart for $140 is starting to look better..Actully I was suprised at how much desk they're selling for that amount of money.. Box proabably wont fit in my car.. Funny of all the desks staples will deliver for free I like the ONE walmart has better..
On 28 Jun, 21:50, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Charles Pisano) wrote:

Don't know where you live, but this rental center has a biscuit joiner for $4.00 a day, $8.00 a week. Much easier than dowels...you basically have to be an idiot to screw up biscuit joinery.
http://www.myrentalcenter.com/index.php?a 02&bI9