Computer Desk construction

I am going to build a corner computer desk for my den and am wondering what anyone would think about pocket hole construction verses using biscuits in joining the panels and other various cross-braces, etc. Any thoughts pro or con would be helpful as I have not used either technique before.

Reply to
James Ruetenik

Pocket hole joints are very strong for joining panels on edge. It's hard to beat tenon and mortise when you need to fasten legs to aprons. The pocket hole joints leave ugly oval holes, but if they are hidden that's okay. I'd use pocket hole joinery if I had the expensive jig and proper screws to go with it.

Reply to
Phisherman

If you own a biscuit jointer, use biscuits. If you own a pocket-hole jig, use pocket holes.

If you own neither and intend to get just one. I'd go for the biscuit eater, but that's my opinion. I don't like the ugly holes that the pocket-hole technique leaves. In almost all cases, biscuits are hidden from view.

Some folks say that an advantage of pocket-hole joinery is that you can take the piece apart. But biscuits come in interlocking halves that allow disassembly. I've never used them, but I find the elegance of the concept pretty neat.

Reply to
Wolf Lahti