Computer Corner Desk

I am currently trying to construct a corner desk of 24" width 59" on left side and 100" on the right side. My problem stems in making the top pieces (22" left section 37" x 37" corner section and 63" right section). I screwed and glued a 1/2" MDF top to a 3/4" plywood bottom but the results left an unacceptable warp in the pieces. My question is if I glued a 1/2" AND 3/4" MDF together could I expect to get a reasonably flat desktop surface? Secondly, any suggestions as to the method for keeping it flat during the drying period would be much appreciated.
I'm sure you'll get other ideas on this, but have you considered using contact cement to join the pieces? Although I wouldn't try using the water-based type with MDF.
On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 17:57:44 -0700, "James Ruetenik"

James,
The ply and/or the MDF needs to be secured to a frame that is flat and strong enough to resist any warping from the ply The 3/4" ply is bowed and you're expecting the 1/2" MDF to pull it flat - not gonna happen. I don't know what your frame is like but if you can secure some cross-bracing to it and then screw the ply down, that should pull the ply flat. I would also screw the MDF down and countersink the screws. Fill the screw holes with bondo and then put your (whatever) finish material on.
Bob S.

1/4''angle iron temporarly screwed to the bottom until glue dries

Check Plansnow.com per Wood Magazine. I built it and like it a lot.

You can get 1-1/4" MDF if that's any help.
    All our low-sress computer furniture plans are now free!
    Thanks,
    Tom Riley snipped-for-privacy@charm.net
    Woodware Designs     http://www.charm.net/~jriley/woodware.html
Check out our new Book:
"Look the Future Straight in the Eye" http://www.charm.net/~jriley/jeremiad/book.html
On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 17:57:44 -0700, "James Ruetenik"