Compressors: Which is better oil or oil free?

Looks like they do make some rotary screw compressors that don't have oil, they use water to cool them instead. Not too common but they are available. Looks like the rotary scroll stuff may be the more "cost effective" oilless high output units for you home shop:-) about 8k vs. 18k for the oilless rotary screws.
William...

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 21:45:38 -0400, Dean Hummel

=======================Well they both work.... no problem there... and for ocassional use either will do just fine...
I have owned both types... and absolutely hated the Noise the oil less compressor put out... just drove me bonkers... This is not to say the oil tyes are quiet...not by a long shot... er... just much quieter...
I now have a 8 Hp 80 Gallon upright compressor and to be honest if I have to drive a few brads I will fill a small portable tank with air and just hook up the nailer to it... I need the large compressor because I restore cars ( another hobby) and need it.
Bob Griffiths
I vote for oiled. They last longer and, while noisy, arent as obnoxious as the oil-free. Oiled machines cost more but will outlast the oil-free machines by a pretty good margin.
Hi Dean,
I'll chime in here and say if you plan on keeping your compressor for a while and plan to use it for a lot of other things get an oil lubricated compressor. It'll last longer and if you sell it it'll have a higher resale value. Lubricated compressors run quieter too.
You can always rebuild oilless compressors but sometimes the cost or time involved outweighs the effort put in and/or the value of the compressor. Personally I would never buy a used oilless compressor. However, if you plan to use your compressor on uneven surfaces, like a rooftop go with oilless. Or, you can use a lubricated compressor on the ground and use a longer hose.
Hope this helps,
Layne
On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 21:45:38 -0400, Dean Hummel