Compressors - drain every day or leave pressured?

Page 2 of 4

Ever seen the results of a pressure vessel failure? I saw one about thirty years ago that sent shrapnel over 50 yards.
In the UK, if the pressure vessel is used in commercial premises then 26 months is the maximum period between statutory inspections. The rest of the world may vary (and usually does!)
Mike wrote: ...

Catastrophic overpressure failure is a completely different thing than the possibility of a rust pinhole developing after 50 years or so...
I'm simply commenting that daily water buildup in a low-use, low-volume homeowner/home-shop environment is somewhat excessive...
And, yes, I've seen results of high-pressure water/steam having been 30+ years associated w/ power generation facilities there have been a couple. But they're much higher pressure and much higher temperature events (1000-2000 psi, 600-1000F typical).
dpb wrote:

Yet another example of people living in unreasoned terror of their tools.
Anybody that worried about it should wrap it in a Kevlar blanket or stack some dead truck tires around it or something.
J. Clarke wrote:

Most air compressors of this caliber are never pressurized much above 100psi anyway. I can't imagine a tank "blowout" at this pressure causing much harm at all, other than a loud noise and perhaps some soiled underwear.
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
Steve Turner wrote:

Bingo. But if one is determined to be afraid of one's compressor then rather than agonizing over how it is going to explode and kill them one day they should take steps that allow it to explode with impunity and then stop worrying about it. Of course if they aren't happy unless they're worrying about something I guess a compressor is as good a target for recreational worrying as anything.
On Wed, 13 May 2009 16:24:18 -0400, "J. Clarke"

Never seen that term before, but it captures the concept beautifully!
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. Robert A. Heinlein
Tom Veatch wrote:

Thank you, sir. Made it up on the spot.
J. Clarke wrote:

The tank itself (particularly if it is ASME-rated; some of the no-name imports that aren't rated I might worry just a little about a weld failure) is pretty unlikely to be an issue.
What I have seen that can be injurious if not lethal is the shock-induced fracture of larger plastic pipe used as reservoirs in a shop air system. It was cold (-20F outside, unheated shop building probably about 0F inside) and a tool fell from a wall hook and hit one of these. It scattered pieces around like that if got you in a tender spot could have done some damage.
I abandoned the idea of plastic lines then and there for the barn. :) Altho I think a 1/2-3/4" distribution line wouldn't have sufficient material volume to be a major deal, I decided it wouldn't be a smart idea even if cheaper... :)
That was ages ago long before I ran across the OSHA directives, etc., ...

What's wrong with copper? Copper tubing is still pretty cheap. The fittings are at least as expensive as the tubing for an extensive system.

Copper is a very common air line material. Easy to break into if you want to add branches later too.

Yep. I put >150ft in my previous house. I'd like to do similar here.
Copper Oxide - the black power inside - must be filtered out or it will clog any tool.
Having a quality filter at each site to trap the fine dust might be expensive.
Dryer at the front helps any pipe system.
Martin
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

But is it really still cheap? Residential A/C compressor condensing units are being stolen for the copper.
"krw" wrote:

Think your database needs an update on copper prices.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

The price of copper has come down quite a bit over the last couple of months:
1/2" x 10' Type M copper pipe - $6.76 1/2" x 10' Type L copper pipe - $9.68
A few months ago I paid $68.00 for a 250' roll of 14/2 Romex. Last week it was down to $23.00.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Where? I'd pick op three or four at that price! It was $41 at lowes on the way home. I'll be finishing the (u)FROG over the next year or so and would buy ahead if it were down that far.
krw wrote:

It was the contractor price at one of out local building supply places, Lenco Lumber. I checked their web site this AM and their regular price without the contractor discount today is $34.29 for 250'.
http://www.lencobuffalo.com /
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Type-L was $8.80/10ft hunk on the way home. Quick disconnects are $3-$5 each and 1/2" copper to 1/4" pipe fittings are over $3! Yeah, it's still pretty cheap. ...and it's so easy to work with (damn I hate the PEX in my new house).
On Wed, 13 May 2009 14:50:59 -0400, "J. Clarke"

No one is 'living in unreasoned terror of their tools' A statutory internal inspection of a pressure vessel might *never* find anything, but the defined periods and limits of that inspection are based on many years of practical experience, and nothing in that knowledge base can currently justify extending that inspection period by a few months let alone a few decades. It's absolutely bugger all to do with overpressure and regardless of the normal operating pressure the regime of inspection is identical.
A typical 100psi portable compressor typically used in close proximity to the work with portable tools might be viewed as more dangerous in failure than a 3000psi compressor used in air blast HV switchgear as for most of the time no one is anywhere near them when they are operating and they use chain mail screens to limit damage to the building and adjacent equipment.
Anyone operating a pressure vessel for 40 years with no internal inspection IS living on borrowed time, that's not just my opinion but that of thousands of professional pressure vessel inspectors, insurance companies and health and safety legislators worldwide.
dpb wrote:

So, I'm NOT alone....although you got me by maybe 5 years. I had thought the tanks were lined in glass, someone told me that once... Now, I'm thinking metal rusts slower under water than just being damp? If damp metal is in contact with air, it rusts quickly. Not much air in water, so, leaving it in might be better than draining it every day?
Just wondering why my 30 gallon tank hasn't collapsed in a pile of rubble?
--
Jack
Go Penns!