Compressor size for HVLP

I plan to purchase a compressor at Sears( because I have a $350 credit) I was looking on line at the 3hp Craftsman $400.00, 30 gal vertical tank, oil lube, cast iron head, wheels,150 psi, 115 psi cut in,15 amp compressor. Right know I dont need that size for tires and blowing air. The reason for the larger size is for future HVLP spraying of finish. The other future items bag vacumn pressing, finish nailer I wont need the size. If I dont need this 155 lb unit for HVLP please advise. My question is what are the requirments for basement woodworking /Spraying and what spray gun or source? Any good web sites on learning spraying that is recommended? Please insult my choice if its a bad choice.

Reply to
henry

You need to know the requirements of the gun. Many require 10 CFM (or more)@

40 PSI, which I doubt a 30 gallon can deliver. I have a similar compressor, and I found an HVLP gun at Home Despot that only uses 8 CFM. My compressor is rated for 7.4 @ 40, so I'm good as long as I don't try to spray constantly.

HVLP requires a large volume of air, so in some cases you actually need a bigger compressor than with a non-HVLP gun.

You can get a standalone HVLP unit. I have the $79.00 unit from Rockler (Turbine and gun). It's only single stage, but it works surprisingly well.

Reply to
gw

It depends on the spray gun. Typically a conversion guns require about

8.5 to 10 CFM at 40 PSI but there are guns available that require as little as 4 to 4.5 CFM at 40 PSI.
Reply to
no(SPAM)vasys

You can get 5HP for $400 at the big stores. I'd watch for the biggest Sears to come on sale, considering the credit. Remember, it's still going to need a dryer/filter for spraying. All the more so since it will be running flat out and condensing a lot of water to dirve the HVLP. The only good thing going is that you can use a lot of other air tools. My jitterbug auto sander is much better than any of my electrics!

If you just want to do HVLP, then get a turbine and start with clean air! The oilless will not have oil, but will still have water and will make a hellacious racket.

Reply to
Wilson