Compressor Question

I currently have the Porter-Cable pancake compressor, and these are the stats:

6 Gallon 2.6 SCFM at 90 PSI Compressor sits at 150 PSI, and kicks on at 135 PSI 2 Horse Motor 30 seconds for tank to come back up to pressure

My question is, will this be able to run a Bostitch N88WWB framing nailer to do framing? I will hopefully be running the valve at 90 PSI, so will this be able to run it withough lag?

Thank You.

Reply to
dave12345

Just about any compressor with a tank will run any strip nail gun. Nail guns are high pressure, low volume users.

Reply to
Leon

Here's what the manual says.

AIR CONSUMPTION: The N88 requires 7.5 cubic feet per minute (212 liters per minute) of free air to operate at the rate of 100 nails per minute, at 80 p.s.i. (5.6 kg/cm2). Take the actual rate at which the tool will be run to determine the amount of air required. For instance, if your fastener usage averages 50 nails per minute, you need 50% of the 7.5 c.f.m. (212 liters per minute) which is required to operate the tool at 100 nails per minute.

That should get you roughly 35 nails per minute without getting ahead of your compressor.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Boyd

Good information. As a practical matter, three nails a minute is probably a lot when lining up the sticks to nail.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Yes it will run the nailer just fine. Nailers use very little air, and it is intermittent use. You could probably get 15-20 (as a guess) or so nails before the motor kicks in again to refill the tank.

But it wont be running non-stop, if that is what you are asking :)

Reply to
Woodie

I guess that depends. When I was framing houses I hit the gun as fast as it would go and never let it stop unless I had to throw more boards in the wall (ballon framing). If all I got was three nails a minute (try it *bang* time out twenty seconds *bang* check the watch for another twenty then *bang*) I would have set the compressor and nailer on fire and let it burn. All these years later I can still hand drive

16d commons faster than that.

On the other hand, I have almost the same compressor from Bostitch and run an N95 Bostitch from it. For my remodeling and light framing, it works great. If you are not a hard user the compressor and gun will be a good match.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41