compressor from garage sale

Short answer, who knows? Long answer, these guys get training on this stuff from very scary people. The more they investigate this, I suspect it will show they had overseas al qaeda training. That said, there have been many attempts in the US that have failed. These don't make the headlines and when they do, it's not for long.
--

-MIKE-

They didn't need such "training" (though that's not to say that it didn't happen). Everything needed to make such a bomb is on the WWW. Terrorist-U is now an online curriculum.

On Thu, 09 May 2013 13:51:23 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Sure, everything is there as per instructions, but it was me, I'd be testing. I'd want to see if my homemade bomb goes 'pop' or goes 'BOOM'.
If terrorism is what I was aiming for, I'd want to see how small a bomb I could make that still had devastating effects. Etcetera. Think Mike called it though, they could have had practical training elsewhere.
On Thu, 09 May 2013 11:51:24 -0500, -MIKE- wrote:

It's also said that a lot of the foiled plots were instigated by the FBI :-). Wonder how many of the fanatics would have done anything but bitch if they hadn't be pushed?
OTOH, if the FBI hadn't pushed them, someone else might have!
carrying a cross.
On 5/9/13 7:26 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

Because that a good enough excuse.
--

-MIKE-

Usually, perhaps. A notable exception was the uranium-based atomic bomb used at Hiroshima. There was no test bomb. The 1st atomic explosion WAS a test of the plutonium-based bomb like the one used at Nagasaki.
On Thu, 9 May 2013 21:47:00 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote:

Yes, Uranium bombs are so trivial a test wasn't needed. In fact, the only country that failed on its first attempt was N. Korea.
On Thu, 09 May 2013 21:45:13 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Actually, I believe the first atomic bomb test was in New Mexico.
On Fri, 10 May 2013 11:05:31 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote:

That was a Plutonium bomb. A test was needed to prove the implosion technique needed to make the PT supercritical. Uranium only takes the equivalent of a cannon barrel and a couple of shells. The first "test" of the Uranium bomb was over Nagasaki. It worked.
"-MIKE-" wrote in message
On 5/6/13 2:37 PM, Leon wrote:

Assuming the thing wasn't plugged in, it's probably just a decent vessel for a bomb and not a functional part of the explosion mechanism.
Of course, one could easily find out exactly what, why, and how it works and how to make your own with a simple google search. But I don't care to start a homeland security file on myself, so I'll pass. :-) ================================================================The pressure cooker is a needed part of the bomb. The pressure relief valve is not an issue. The pressure build up is too fast for it to vent it fast enough to make any difference. You could put the same components in a paper bag instead of the pressure cooker and all you would get is a fire.
On 5/9/2013 12:11 AM, CW wrote:

I believe the vessel would have been better had it been stronger than a pressure cooker. Like a circuit breaker that protects the wiring in a house the 15 lb relief valve is to protect the cooker. I highly suspect that the lid popped off long before the potential was reached with the powder burn.
On 5/9/2013 9:52 AM, Leon wrote:

--
Jeff

"woodchucker" wrote in message

================================================================================================If that was the case, it would amount to a shaped charge, pointed straight up. It would be hell on ceilings and it would make it rain ball bearings. The pressure build would be so fast that, by time the locking lugs yielded, the pressure would be so high that the whole thing would fracture. Consider to that pressure cookers are cast. Cast aluminum is quite brittle. Chances are high that the lid let go before the rest of it. Maybe a pico second before.
--
Jeff

It looked when the bombs went off that most of the blast went up. And not all pressure cookers are heavy cast aluminum, many are made from much lighter weight rolled stainless steel. http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/fagor-elite-pressure-cooker-4-qt?IDY3479&cm_mmc=Google_DMA_Home_Electrics_PLA-_-PLA+Home+Brands+-+Electrics_PLA+-+Electrics+-+Fagor+-+2-_-29289153716_-_-_mkwid_K6XTOYMJ_29289153716%7C-%7CK6XTOYMJ
Leon wrote:

Like mine which is at least 25 years old.
Lew

Mine is closer to 80 years old. Belonged to my grandmother and still works fine. I've replaced the seals and pressure safety gasket a few times in the fifty years I've owned it, along with the regulator, which was lost in a move, about 15 years ago.
--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)

On 5/11/2013 1:16 AM, Leon wrote:

Based on the number of leg and lower torso injuries it looks the bombs were designed to send shrapnel into the horizontal directions.
This is what makes these guys actions so deplorable. It appears they design the bombs to not kill people but to destroy their legs, which the runners were very proud of and dependent for their enjoyment.
On 5/11/2013 9:15 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

Well that is what happened but the runners do not enjoy their legs any more that any one else that walks around. I don't know about you but I am not a runner and am dependent on my legs for much of my enjoyment. ;~)
"Leon" wrote in message
On 5/11/2013 9:15 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

Well that is what happened but the runners do not enjoy their legs any more that any one else that walks around. I don't know about you but I am not a runner and am dependent on my legs for much of my enjoyment. =================================================================================After 15 months in a wheelchair, I realize how important they are.
On Sat, 11 May 2013 10:15:00 -0400, Keith Nuttle

I *highly* doubt it was "designed" to do anything but make a bang and kill people. The lid obviously stayed intact (as I would have expected) so much of the energy would be naturally out the side. I doubt that this was in any way a "design" goal. I'm sure a compressor tank would have been even better.