Compressed Air Plumbing for Shop

Page 3 of 3

<... snipped ...>

So if you drive drunk 50 times without an accident, then ... Use a grinder without eye protection for years without getting something in your eye... Stood in a puddle once when using 120V power tools and nothing happened...
But don't worry about that, I'm sure those NG anecdotes prove that your PVC air plumbing will be safe.

PVC is not an appropriate material for compressed air piping. It can be subject to brittle / explosive failure.
http://www.osha.gov/dts/hib/hib_data/hib19880520.html
cheers Bob
Hmmm seems as though most everyone is assuming Sch 40 PCV pipe not the hose sold specifically for air distribution. Seems like black pipe, while adaptable for the task is very difficult to work with and VERY difficult to easily add additional ports in the future.
I don't think the PVC specifically for air distribution will shatter and explode, just rupture at the weak point. Otherwise the hose reels for air distribution (like I have in my shop) would not be practicable.
IMHO
Marty
On 5/17/2012 12:07 PM, RonB wrote:

--
Thanks<br>

Correct. It is made for liquid, not compressed gas.

Yes, unless you have threading equipment available.

Yes, it is a different material and is used extensively. We have thousands of feet of that type in our shop, but you'll never find an inch of PVC water tubing.

I am not going to use PVC. Black pipe was was pretty much my going-in position when I started thinking about it and when I posted this. I am not ruling out pipe but as I Googled around I found some interesting approaches using regular air hose and shop made copper terminations. This is one of them -- http://americanwoodworker.com/blogs/shop/archive/2009/09/15/plumb-your-shop-with-air.aspx
No decision yet, but this has appeal. My shop is a 1,024 sf garage that shares space with cars, but adequate. I use a french-cleat wall rail system that allows me to move cabinets and racks pretty easily if I want to change configuration of certain areas. The hose approach seem flexible because you can change routing and add service points fairly easily. Fabricating the individual copper service points might be a little fiddly, but when made they can be used in different places if I switch stuff around. Pipe - not so easy.
No decision yet but I'm kinda liking the hose system.
Ron
Overkill.
Use air hose for the drops too. very flexible, There is really no need for copper, or black pipe. But hey it's your money, and your time.
On 5/19/2012 4:06 PM, RonB wrote:

http://americanwoodworker.com/blogs/shop/archive/2009/09/15/plumb-your-shop-with-air.aspx
On May 19, 3:41pm, tiredofspam <nospam.nospam.com> wrote:

I'm retired and this is my hobby shop is so time is not a real big deal. But I am a retired tight-a**ed Irishman so money is a consideration. I'm probably over-playing it, but the purpose-made copper terminations look kinda classy considering everything else is hose.
Well - maybe not classy :^)

I understand, I married a tight-a**ed Irish woman.. can't get anything past her, or out of her.

And I understand that its your hobby and enough said. It's the same here.

One thing I'd be looking at is making sure the hose connections are tight and solid. Not only are air leaks annoying, but if a connection lets go it not only makes a big noise, but the hose tends to go flying.
I've seen many hose clamps distort and break while trying to torque them down, but it may be the quality of the clamp.
Please keep us updated, I've thought about doing the same thing, especially since air hose is so much less expensive than pipe.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

That hose is NOT PVC pipe. Hose is safe if tied down often enough to keep it from swinging around and taking your eye out. There is, to my knowlwdge, NO PVC pipe made for air distribution.

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in news:2mqlr7dnf189os1iq1117cirforig9vgni@ 4ax.com:

I'm curious... Would covering the PVC with a plastic-like coating (like THHN/THWN wire) sufficiently reduce the risk of using PVC with compressed air? I guess the trick would become making sure the coating binds properly to the PVC and adheres properly with the PVC glue.
Looks like some ABS pipes might be rated for compressed air use, but that was only turned up after a quick Google search.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 22 May 2012 04:11:42 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:>

Probably, it would eliminate shrapnel.