Compressed Air

Page 2 of 2

painting a truck.. Most folks that use canned air are cleaning stuff like keyboards, is that the job?
I use a mini-vac accessory kit from Harbor Freight that goes on a vacuum hose.. works great and also collects the crap instead of blowing it all over the house..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

That reminds me of the time during my computer infancy days when I was vacuuming up dust around my computer motherboard. The vacuum sucked a chip right off the motherboard and amid a sizable quantity of cursing and swearing, I spent the next hour carefully digging garbage out of my vacuum bag until I found the lost chip.

When it comes to motherboards, blow never suck. A shop-type blowgun can damage electronics, so the $5 can of (clean) compressed air is recommended. The mini-vac accessory kit is a good idea for keyboards, remote controls, phones, and printers.

hair from a dog and too many cats.. It goes outside 2 or 3 times a year and gets blown out with the compressor..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote:

I run my keyboard through the dishwasher.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

While that works for some, it doesn't work for all.
--John

A friend used to work for Delta Airlines and used to clean keyboards in some kind of electra-static vat, like you'd use for jewelry.. He said they'd go in there for an hour or so and then be blown dry with air..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Bill wrote:

What are you looking to do with it? For blowing off dust those little powered basketball inflators are pretty much worthless--put out about as much air volume as a hand powered tire pump. On the other hand a low pressure foot pump will move a surprising amount of dust but won't give you more than 5 PSI or so of pressure.
--John

You didn't say why you couldn't use the compressed air tanks, I'm guessing you are talking about the quart cans of compressed air and the propellant is the problem, If that is so, you could buy a 5 gallon air tank that can be filled with air from a compressor and then use as needed. (Amazon.com product link shortened)
They are sold by many companies, Google for portable air tank CC

Thanks for this, and *all*, of the kind replies to my post!
Yes, the "propellant" in the cans of compressed air is my problem. The air tanks look like a reasonable possibility (as does a foot pump), perhaps. Is the air that comes out of the tanks always free from "static electricity"?
Bill
Bill wrote:

None of it's static free. The higher the flow rate the more static.
Incidentally, pennytech solution--air hose and spare tire. When the tire is empty pump it up at the gas station.
--John

My guess would be "yes" since compressed air usually results in moisture permitting static electricity to travel to the metal sides of a compressor.
Anyone?

They still sell those "refillable" aerosol cans, that you fill with a compressor?
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote:

I got mine from Harbor Fright.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA
Gerald Ross wrote:

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Hmmmm!

The darkroom department in photo stores sell huge enema bulbs, usually used to blow off film and lenses. Same idea as a turkey baster, but with a larger bulb and shorter, stiffer tip. They also sell delicate little ones with a soft brush at the tip, but I find these to be less useful.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/541904-REG/Giottos_AA1903_Rocket_Air_Blower_.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=search&A=search&Q=&ci=0&sb=ps&sq sc&sortDrop=Relevance&ac=&bsi=&bhs=t&shs=blower&ciB6&basicSubmit=Submit+Query