compound mitre saws

newbie question, what are the pro's and con's of sliding compound miter saw's over fixed compound miter saw's Mike

Reply to
Mike

Mike,

Basically, the sliders allow you a longer length of cut. Usually you can cut boards around 12 inches (300 mm) width with a slide compound mitre saw. May also use it to cut dado's/housing joints etc if it has the locking/stop feature to do this.

-- Regards,

Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews

5 Reviews:

- BeadLOCK Loose Tenon Joinery System

- Hyphone Air Tool Kit & Impact Wrench

- Veritas Basic Grinding Set

- Book: Making Workbenches

- HNT Gordon Block/Shoulder Planes

DRE

The sliders are a bit more versatile as they can cut a wider board. They are also more expensive.

I just bought a DeWalt DW705 12" saw. It can cut a 2 x 8. The 12" slider can cut a 4 x 12.

The price difference was about $400 or so. Worth it? Depends on the work you do. I lived without one for years but bought this to do some flooring work this coming week. Since I have it, I also found other chores for it. I cannot justify the extra $ for the slider, but did justify the extra $80 for the 12" over the 10" for the wider cut capability. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

Not a slider, but I've had a DW705 for about 5 years now, and it's had a lot of use. I'm very happy with it, even the DW blade proved pretty good, but I have a Forrest I reserve for fine work.

Barry Lennox

Reply to
Barry Lennox