Compound mitre Cut

I am trying to install stair hand rails with a 45 degree slope. The stairs has a 90 degree turn in them. Is it possible to work out a compound mitre for this so the hand rail wraps around the corner? If it is possible does any one know the angles?

Thank you

Reply to
LR

It is possible to work out the compound mitre angle, (just a series of straight lines and angles) but I don't think the answer will be of any use to you.

Depending on the profile of the 45 deg hand rail, a joint at 90 deg would look terrible, unless the hand rail was round with spherical ends!!!! IMHO it would be much better to have a horizontal section of hand rail at the 90 deg turn. Cut a 90 deg horizontal mitre with each end mitred to 22.5 (67.5) deg. Cut each end of the hand rail to 22.5 (67.5) deg.

(I'm not getting into the argument on whether the angle required is the one set on the mitre saw or on the piece if wood, and from which face the angle is measured from, that was a couple of months ago)

Graham

Reply to
Graham Walters

Not as simple as 1 joint but will work and look better.

Reply to
LR