Composite decking fasteners

Hi I am building my deck (ACQ treated) and using the choice deck composite decking. I have 12" on center joists. The question is do I screw the planks at every joist or can I do every other? I.E. every 24" rather than every 12"

WHAT does the manufacturer indicate? or Try 24" and if that feels strange add them at 12"

To add a little explanation of the try it at 24", composite decking tends to not be very rigid. If you fasten at 24 inches you might hear and or feel a slapping sound if the planks do not fit securely at each joist as you step on them.

Well It seems fine at 24". No slapping no bowing, etc. I've put about 20 or so down with 24" spacing and everything seems great. We have had two very hot, very sunny days so I would expect the decking to lay nicely, but I'm not sure how this stuff reacts to fluctuations in temp. Granted I'm in Southern California and we don't fluctuate that much.
The manufacturer states that you should use 16" or 12" on center joists and that for 16" you should screw to every joist. They don't specify anything about the 12" option.
On Jun 14, 3:49 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I built a TREX deck using 16" spacing and for July 4 one year had a bunch of people on the deck. Held up fine, but when this one man's monster fat son walked across it it shook a bit - had to do again, I'd go like you and maybe closer like 12".
I got lazy on install and only did 99% of fasteners, not 100% and there are still spots where I get that slapping noise from loose boards, just need a day to screw it down. Screwing TREX is a PITA, as stainless screws strip easily and you have to pre-drill, even then its a slow process and will nearly wear out a drywall gun.
Scott, I am using the Senco Duraspin DS300. Mates nicely to my Dewalt Drywall screw gun. The 08R250W screws are going in nice, no pre- drilling. I'm getting a little mushrooming but after a hammer tap and a day in the hot sun they disappear. I couldn't get the duraspin "no mushroom" version in a timely manner, but I would imagine they would work even nicer.
I can see while putting the decking on 12"OC was the way to go. I just can't see if screwing to every joist is necessary.

Personally, I never regret overkill - would sure make for a solid deck.
Leon wrote:

The manufacture's installation guide is available at:
http://www.choicedek.com/ChoiceDek_brochure.pdf
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA