complimentary wood to red oak

Gang-

Finishing my workbench, now milling drawers. Drawers will be red oak plywood, but wanting to something different for drawer faces.

Perhaps either a different wood altogether or stain the red oak to be a more contrasting dark color, say like mahogany.

Q: What natural darker wood looks nice against red oark or what darker stain looks good against red oak?

Reply to
Chris Carruth

"Chris Carruth" wrote in news:3Cm5e.7822$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com:

I use walnut, but then, I am blessed with a more than adequate supply of walnut.

I've also used some tropicals stocked ay my local hardwood/plywood supplier. Chechen, machiche, and santa maria come to mind.

Larry Jaques has been hyping jarrah lately, and there has been some really nice stock available.

Maybe something local, and reclaimed from the 'going to the landfill' pile?

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

I agree completely that walnut looks good with red oak. I've built several frames and boxes for SWMBO that were either red oak with walnut inlay or walnut with an oak inlay. I also have an abundant supply or walnut. It may be time to drop another tree and start it drying, though.

Reply to
Al Reid

I've had pleasing, at least to me, results using walnut as a contrast/accent to both red and white oak, particularly if you do not stain either and use an oil/poly base (similar to Sam Maloof's), top coated with shellac.

Reply to
Swingman

Jatoba. It has a deep red color that would match the red oak nicely. It's also cheaper than some domestics and tough as iron.

Reply to
Hax Planks

Same here (on both counts).

Reply to
Dave Hinz

i just finished a red oak tv cabinet with bloodwood strips inlaid into the top and front faces that turned out really nicely. finished with nitrocellulose lacquer, so it tinted just a shade yellowish, but the red is still a very nice red. it's a hard wood, and has a wonderful smell when milled.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

African Paduak would look nice with that. I did something like you are but used knotty-pine and the Paduak. Stained it all Cherry and it looks really nice.

CJ

Reply to
CJ