Completed project (flytying station)

Howdy wreckers,
I finally remembered to get some shots of the flytying station I finished a while back. It's got a carcase of cherry, a top of some wild curly cherry, a drawer front of quilted maple, and the other main parts are out of q-sawn sycamore:
http://www.swt.edu/~cv01/flystation01.jpg
http://www.swt.edu/~cv01/flystation03.jpg
http://www.swt.edu/~cv01/flystation04.jpg
The carcase is dovetailed together, the uprights are mortised into the top, and the beams/arms are mortised to receive the tenons from the uprights. The spool-holding platform is a two-sided "box" mitered together, and supported by grooves/dados cut in the side-supports plus a shallow groove in the top.
The spools are stored on 3/16" brass rod which passes through holes in the top and is secured in place by corresponding holes drilled into a piece of poplar which sits inside the "box". The box is closed up by a piece of 1/4" ply that fits into rabbets cut into the top and the poplar support piece.
The finish is BLO followed by superblonde Paddylac. The top was rubbed down with superfine steel wool and regular old Minwax.
The majority of the work was done with handtools, but I did get the routah out to do the roundingovah on the arms and the edges of the top.
Chuck Vance
Great job. The figure in the top makes my eyes go crossed. Awesome.
Tim
Beautiful! Fantastic job showing the grain of the wood.
Ed. O.
Woodworking projects at: http://www.amiigas.com Remove the NAIL from e-mail to reply
Have you practiced that line on SWMBO? A keeper fur shure!
On 22 Jul 2003 05:40:43 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@swt.edu (Conan the Librarian) wrote:

Nice!
Is the quarter sawn sycamore a mitered corner box or a solid block of wood? I really, really like the look of qs sycamore. Course it's hard to notice with all the figure in the maple.
Looks like it payed off saving "scraps" of precious woods.
charlie b
Damn beautiful job Chuck! It's actually mesmerizing.
Jummy

Thanks, Jim. I have to admit that I get cross-eyed if I stare at it too long.
And that doesn't really help a lot when tying flies. :-}
Chuck Vance

That should be, "the syc is too sycy".

I'll be sure and tell SWMBO. (I let her pick the handles.)
Actually, I had my doubts about them, but I like the hammered effect in contrast to the figured maple. It makes you want to touch the handles, and then draws you to the maple, which has a similar pattern to its grain.

Funny you should mention that. I chose the piece because the figure looked like a moving river to my eyes. I thought about calling the piece "a river runs through it". *cough*

Trust me, they have, Lar ... they already have.
Chuck Vance