Competition for SawStop ?

Page 9 of 12

Well, it's like I said. I'm talking to you so I must be a loser.
wrote in message

Since you keep insisting, I'll agree.

I did not realise that the statement you made was in you openion or was something you suspected.
wrote in message

I thinking that if those reps are actually still around these days that they would have a different view on which course they should have taken. That is my throught. And I would also think that if those manufacturers were like most that I have worked for that someone submitting a proposal for an accessory or improvement of their product is not an uncommon occourance. Basically I could not really see a manufacturer having ill feelings towards an inventor or other company that is making a proposal. All the major manufavturers depend on smaller businesses to bring new ideas and products to the table for possible future consideration. Many get turned down some do not.

Easy enough to calculate. Assume rotational speed of 3600 rpm = 60 revolutions per second. 114 ms * 60 revolutions = 6.84 complete revolutions of the blade. If it's a 40-tooth blade, that means 274 teeth. That's a lot of cutting. That's a lot of ouch, and a lot of damage, if the object being cut is your finger.
SawStop reacts in, what? 3 ms?
On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 21:53:09 +0000, Doug Miller wrote:

They claim 5.

Definately less than 5, I watched the video with my stop watch and timed the reaction time of the blade.
;~)
On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 00:44:37 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard

Versus 117ms for the Whirlwind. And you can both use the blade again and start the saw back up 1 second after the E-stop. The Sawstop eats a $120 Woodworker II and a $60 aluminum stop every time. And how many false stops are happening now? Like when your buddy comes over and wants to see it work...
-- Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

If something slips, your hand can move a *long* way in 117 ms. Remember that the Whirlwind mechanism won't engage until your hand is *right there* at the guard -- IOW, when your hand is only inches away from the blade. And moving. Moving *quickly*.
No thanks.
I agree that Whirlwind is clearly better than no protection at all. But better than SawStop? No way.

And of course surgery to reattach amputated fingers costs much less than that. The cost of triggering the SawStop is irrelevant: if you never get your hand into a spinning blade, it never triggers, and costs you nothing. If you *do* get your hand into a spinning blade, the cost of a new blade and brake cartridge is miniscule compared to the cost of treating the injury you'd receive without it.

Tell your buddy he's welcome to see it work if he ponies up the cost of the replacements -- and tests with his own finger in the teeth.
On 1/22/2011 10:40 AM, Doug Miller wrote:

If the Whirlwind ever comes to market, who's to say it couldn't also be installed on a SawStop? Breach the Whirlwind's safety zone and the saw begins the less drastic one-second shutdown, without damage to the hardware; touch the blade and BOOM. Best of both worlds.
On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 10:25:09 -0600, Steve Turner

I hope it does.

There ya go, Steve! And it only costs $2,000 over the normal cost of a generic cabinet saw, too! They come with free tinfoil hats, too.
P.S: The tinfoil hats come with rubber holddowns so the wind doesn't accidentally blow them off. Safety first!
-- "I probably became a libertarian through exposure to tough-minded professors" James Buchanan, Armen Alchian, Milton Friedman "who encouraged me to think with my brain instead of my heart. I learned that you have to evaluate the effects of public policy as opposed to intentions." -- Walter E. Williams
On 1/23/2011 10:40 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Hey, I never said *I* would buy one. :-) People keep arguing the merits of one versus the other without ever considering the possibility of them both being available, so I just thought I'd throw it out there.
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

Sounds like a winner to me.

Snip
And yet you continue to live and participate in a capitalistic society....

There are limits, you idealist softie, you.
-- Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Isn't one of the principles of a capitalistic society that one gets to *choose* how, and with whom, to spend one's money?

LOL,,,, Absolutely but unless you are extremely naive, which I don't think that Larry is, purchasing gasoline, insurance, and the list goes on, you are feeding greed. Oh and arrogance.

Oh, I didn't know you had a gasoline powered SawStop.

<<...other stuff snipped...>>

I see pros and cons to both the Sawstop and the Whirlwind designs, I'll leave that decision to their potential buyers. But in fairness, if the Sawstop is NOT running, it's blade won't drop either. I don't see either having an advantage when it comes to contact with a stationary blade.

Larry W wrote:

I don't see either having an advantage either if you drop the blade on your foot on the way to the saw...that covers the case where the blade is not stationary.