Competition for SawStop ?

Page 11 of 12

I wrote:

-------------------------------- "Leon" wrote:

-------------------------------- Interesting observation, but definitely not true.
About the best weather forecast you can get is no more that 48 hours which translates to about 150 miles, so the best you can do is base your voyage on historical long range weather patterns and update daily.
Classic examples are the fact nobody heads south for Cabo until Dec 1 from San Diego if you are on the left coast, or you also don't head to the Caribbean until after hurricane season, again usually Dec 1 if departing from Florida if on the east coast.
Once at sea, the shoreline is not your friend, especially a lee shore such as you have from Alaska to Cape Horn.
Have had people suggest going to Las Vegas and do a little gambling.
I just smile and suggest they do a little single handed sailing (My preferred method) if they truly want to gamble.
If you screw up at sea, you probably end up at the bottom of the food chain.
You quickly learn to be very prudent; however, that doesn't include staying in port, but it does include recognizing the fact that you are at the mercy of Mother Nature.
Two things you must accept:
1) Haste definitely makes waste whether in the shop or on board a boat.
2) Mother Nature is a BITCH.
I'm reminded of Bill Pickney, the first black man to circumnavigate the globe, when asked what was the most important piece of equipment he had on board simply smiled and pointed to his head.
Venture forth with care, be it a passage in a vehicle or a new project in the shop.
Lew
On 1/22/2011 3:13 PM, Leon wrote:

My comment was that I lower the blade beneath the table *when I'm finished using the saw*; I don't lower it every blasted time I turn it off. My shop doesn't have all the space in the world, and when I'm not using the saw for its intended purpose, chances are good I'm going to take advantage of the table surface for other random activity. Having the blade protruding up through the table when the saw is sitting idle for hours or days on end just isn't a very safe place for it to be displacing air.
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

I think/thought I was responding to Lew's comment.
The wood working class I took offered by the local community college

FWIW I perscribe to your practice of how often to raise or lower the blade.

It is practice with such negligible benefits, I don't see a need to do it.
--
Jim in NC

wrote

Nor do I, I lower the blade to protect the blade.

Um...... my saw has a guard that (I think) would mitigate the damage somewhat........maybe.
Max
On 1/20/2011 1:12 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Well, ask yourself what would happen to your hand if that happened using YOUR (non-SawStop) TS.
On 01/26/2011 04:11 PM, Just Wondering wrote:

I need a "hammer stop" for when that sucker is heading for my finger/thumb.
On 1/26/2011 5:36 PM, Doug Winterburn wrote:

Old technology ... part of the orginal patent:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Maximilienne-p1000557.jpg
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

I know he won't move too quickly, but lookout if he kicks your ass.

That'd work. ;)
P.S: Jayzuss! Not even Texicans have pointy-toed boots like that!
-- Ask not what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive... then go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive. -- Howard Thurman

OK. But my finger still hurts. <G>
Max

Almost looks like a magic trick.
--
"He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! "
Brian's Mum

If he offered you a _discount_ for installing a Sawstop that would make sense--you'd be reducing your risk over what it already is. But if he's saying he's going to increase the rates when there's no increase in risk, you really oughta file a complaint with the insurance commission.

Fine to push for them. Not so fine when you start trying to bully people into buying them.
What's with your quoting attribution? Can you tell from the above who you are responding to? I can't.

If everyone but you stops smoking, your risk of getting cancer from smoking doesn't go up - everybody else's goes down. That's what you're arguing, right? Let's all keep smoking?
wrote

When claims go down, rates tend to follow. And to answer which would cost more, the SawStop or the Insurance, if you use the technology and don't visit the hospital when the saw saves you that trip, the insurance company does not hear about it. If you use a regular saw w/o the technoligy and end up going to the hospital the insurance company will hear about it and you will likely pay higher premiums and as a whole most every one else will also because this is not an isolated incident and the cost of reattaching a finger or other digit is going to cost way more than your premium will increase. Additionally if you end up having a major accident you will pay for the rest of your life and I am not talking money.
@swbell.dotnet says...

How many dollars less per year will your insurance rate be if you buy a Sawstop? 1? 10? 100? 1000?
On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 17:50:32 -0800, Larry Jaques wrote:

I t-boned a 17 yr old that pulled out in front of me, I was going about 50.
I was not aware of any sound or impact from the air bag, just having to rake it out of my face when the action was over.
Totaled both vehicles, kid stayed in the hospital for three weeks, I picked out another truck and went home, was sore the next day.
I am quite fond of airbags.
basilisk
"

I did close to the same thing; saw the suv pull out while I was going 60, but got slowed to perhaps 35 or 40 MPH before impact.
They are fricking LOUD ! ! ! Imagine two or thee 12 ga shotgun shells going off 2 feet in front of your face, and another couple going off in front of the passenger's seat.
My ears were ringing like crazy. I got out and checked on the other car, talked to the first people that stopped and made sure police were on the way, and the police were there in a few minutes. It was then I walked over to my car to get something off of the seat, and I noticed the car was still running. It was the first time in 8 to 10 minutes that my ears were not ringing so loud that I was prevented from hearing a running engine.
I never felt the bag hit my face or body, because I ride pretty far reclined and far from the wheel, and always wear seat belts. I saw it coming and braced on the wheel pretty hard, I guess.
--
Jim in NC

Unless you're talking about the airbags in the Yugo; you have to blow those up yourself, a straw hanging from the dash..