Competition for SawStop ?

Has the much-vaunted "Free Market" given us a choice ??

Neil Brooks

Very interesting. Looks like it is a few $'s away from actually being available for purchase. I wonder if he will have trouble with the Whirlwind name because of the well know woodworking machinery company of the same name.

I hope Steel City or JDS or some smaller company can get on this thing and bring it to market quickly.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Won't be able to use a raised extension fence on your miter gauge without removing the guard.

Reply to
Father Haskell

Methinks that design will eat SawStop's lunch. The SawStop inventor may have outsmarted himself with the way he went bringing it to market. I don't know anyone that would think that destroying a blade and having to buy a replacement brake cartridge would be preferable to pressing a button to restart.

Of course, having an overhead safety guard like the Whirlwind one, just by itself, would probably prevent 99% of serious injuries. The dust collection is a big bonus. And retrofitting tabletop saws...? Totally covers the market.

How much do you think that system for a tabletop would end up going for?

RicodJour

I think a bicycle disc-brake would work too...if you can find a disc that can withstand oak rust....

Reply to
Robatoy

Yup, if it works as advertised they'll sell a bazillion of them.

Reply to
DGDevin

That's an optional accessory at an additional price, at least if they're thinking ahead it will be.

Reply to
DGDevin

Oh no he d'in't!

Reply to
-MIKE-

LOL!

Reply to
Steve Turner

The guy on the left's bike probably has them.

RicodJour

I see patent infringement lawsuits out the kazoo! Especially some involving hot dogs.

Reply to
HeyBub

This guy will make his million and all of us will then have the new technology, because he intends to license it to everyone at a fair price, unlike that asshole lawyer who created the saw blade demolition block. That guy will be out of business shortly afterwards, I'm sure.

-- Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Not to mention the animal rights folks getting all upset about cruelty toward hot dogs.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Two Birds, One Stone: Use tofu dogs!

Reply to
Ecnerwal

Nahh. Sawstop doesn't depend on a guard.

Reply to
J. Clarke

PITA will still be pissed ... leaving no tern un-stoned.

Reply to
Swingman

Neil Brooks wrote in news:d2ac8855-2ede-4d3d-96d5- snipped-for-privacy@u25g2000pra.googlegroups.com:

How doe that work with dados and tenons?

Reply to
Han

The guy on the left's bike probably has them.

that oak?

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

I still view the sawstop has superior.

It can work without a guard. So it is always able to work. Even when I don't want to use one. When cove cutting.

The whirlwind is good, but not as good as the sawstop. And I really don't fault the sawstop inventor. He was turned down by all the companies.

The whirlwind may succeed, since the manufactures missed the boat once. They won't twice.

Never the less, the sawstop does eat blades. But it doesn't take 4.5 revolutions to stop the blade. So if I don't want to use the guard, I can still be assured my hot dog won't be eaten.

I would buy the sawst> In article @u25g2000pra.googlegroups.com>, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says... >>

Reply to
tiredofspam