Competition for SawStop ?

Page 1 of 12
Has the much-vaunted "Free Market" given us a choice ??
http://www.whirlwindtool.com /
Hmmmm.

Very interesting. Looks like it is a few $'s away from actually being available for purchase. I wonder if he will have trouble with the Whirlwind name because of the well know woodworking machinery company of the same name.
I hope Steel City or JDS or some smaller company can get on this thing and bring it to market quickly.

Methinks that design will eat SawStop's lunch. The SawStop inventor may have outsmarted himself with the way he went bringing it to market. I don't know anyone that would think that destroying a blade and having to buy a replacement brake cartridge would be preferable to pressing a button to restart.
Of course, having an overhead safety guard like the Whirlwind one, just by itself, would probably prevent 99% of serious injuries. The dust collection is a big bonus. And retrofitting tabletop saws...? Totally covers the market.
How much do you think that system for a tabletop would end up going for?
"RicodJour" wrote in message

Yup, if it works as advertised they'll sell a bazillion of them.
On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 11:29:07 -0800, "DGDevin"

This guy will make his million and all of us will then have the new technology, because he intends to license it to everyone at a fair price, unlike that asshole lawyer who created the saw blade demolition block. That guy will be out of business shortly afterwards, I'm sure.
-- Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Not to me.

Methinks that design will eat SawStop's lunch. The SawStop inventor may have outsmarted himself with the way he went bringing it to market. I don't know anyone that would think that destroying a blade and having to buy a replacement brake cartridge would be preferable to pressing a button to restart.
Might be a good deal.
Of course, having an overhead safety guard like the Whirlwind one, just by itself, would probably prevent 99% of serious injuries. The dust collection is a big bonus. And retrofitting tabletop saws...? Totally covers the market.
The apparent required guard would be the deal breaker for me. I'd probably go with the SawStop at this point.
How much do you think that system for a tabletop would end up going for?
$4289.05 l~)

Sawstop is a passive safety system. You don't have to do anything but contact the blade to make it work. Ideally, you would use the saw and system your entire life and never activate the brake system. If that happens, repair is a minor cost considering the alternative.
This is a neat idea but it is active, vs passive. The guard has to be on the saw, not hanging on the wall. Also, it is not usable for a lot of tablesaw operations (Miter, vertical fence use, jigs and fixtures, etc.) But the dust collection is a pretty nice add in.
RonB

Won't be able to use a raised extension fence on your miter gauge without removing the guard.
"Father Haskell" wrote in message

That's an optional accessory at an additional price, at least if they're thinking ahead it will be.

I think a bicycle disc-brake would work too...if you can find a disc that can withstand oak rust....
On 1/18/11 1:25 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Oh no he d'in't!
--

-MIKE-

On 1/18/2011 1:36 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

LOL!
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.

The guy on the left's bike probably has them.
http://cobbers.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/10/wooden-bike.jpg

The guy on the left's bike probably has them.
http://cobbers.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/10/wooden-bike.jpg
Is that oak?
Neil Brooks wrote:

I see patent infringement lawsuits out the kazoo! Especially some involving hot dogs.

Not to mention the animal rights folks getting all upset about cruelty toward hot dogs.
"Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote:

Two Birds, One Stone: Use tofu dogs!

On 1/18/2011 2:53 PM, Ecnerwal wrote:

PITA will still be pissed ... leaving no tern un-stoned.
<thank you dean Spooner>
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Nahh. Sawstop doesn't depend on a guard.