Companies that DESERVE to go bankrupt......

Page 3 of 3
George wrote:

Microsoft.
On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 18:23:46 -0400, Silvan

And who would pay the food/utility/rent bills for all those thousands of immediately unemployed people, hmmm?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - If God approved of nudity, we all would have been born naked. ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- http://www.diversify.com Your Wild & Woody Website Wonk
Larry Jaques wrote:

Who paid the food/utility/rent bills for all unemployed Nazi soliders? :)

Operation Ratlines: The Vatican and the Roman Catholic Bush CIA which eventually created Saddam Hussein's Baath Party and assassinated JFK and MLK to keep us in Rome's Vietnam.
See: "Unholy Trinity," Loftus; "Plausible Denial," Lane.
--
Doors - Locks - Weatherstripping
POB 250121 Atlanta GA 30325

I think my dad & mom did and that we still are (via debt service on the national debt). It was called the Marshall Plan if I am not mistaken.
Dave Hall
Dave Hall responds:

I think the Marshall Plan was a tad more widespread than that.
"Even now a model for positive economic diplomacy, the Marshall Plan was a rational effort by the United States aimed at reducing the hunger, homelessness, sickness, unemployment, and political restlessness of the 270 million people in sixteen nations in West Europe. Marshall Plan funds were not mainly directed toward feeding individuals or building individual houses, schools, or factories, but at strengthening the economic superstructure (particularly the iron-steel and power industries). The program cost the American taxpayers $11,820,700,000 (plus $1,505,100,000 in loans that were repaid) over four years and worked because it was aimed at aiding a well-educated, industrialized people temporarily down but not out."
Charlie Self "If the misery of the poor be caused not by the laws of nature, but by our institutions, great is our sin." Charles Darwin

How you take money earmarked to reduce the above and give it to industrialists was and still is beyond my comprehension. See my earlier posts regarding corporate welfare.
If they gave the money more directly to the impoverished, starving people at the bottom who have no "fat cat"/ government connections, the economy would be more *naturally* kickstarted by their spending activities. They have shown in several studies up here on our east coast, where the cod stocks have "died", that they could give each unemployed fisherman $40 000 a year free and clear and actually save MANY millions of dollars of their job-creation money from going to the government's corporate buddies.
Once all that money ($40K times thousands of out-of-work fishermen who were industrious and will probably be again) starts getting spent, the economy will kick in and take whatever new direction it must. They don't need retraining in any factories that will probably be obsolete shortly after they're built and which will certainly fold up their tents and disappear as soon as the "job-creation", government funds run out.
Those "new jobs" in those "new factories" will be yet another corporate scam because, if they were really viable businesses, they would have been created by demand and by corporate ingenuity long before government largesse gave them the incentive, all that welfare money.
Gerry < rant mode off >
On 14 Apr 2004 17:24:17 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

Curiously enough this is the only type of welfare program that has *ever* been successful. Despite all the perceived unfairness and the fat cats getting fatter it is only when the infrastructure is strong that people have jobs. Obviously today's economy doesn't swing around the steel and power industries (although they still are a lot more important than many people think) but the basic industries that keep providing the things people need are the things that make the economy move. "Trickle down" may not work as well in practice as it does on paper, but nothing else offers any hope of ever reducing the amount the government pays out to prop up the economy.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com

The question was who paid for the costs of unemployed german soldiers. The answer I gave was we did (via the Marshall Plan). I did not say that was ALL the Marshall Plan did. I didn't even intimate anything negative about the Marshall Plan. It may have been the greatest thing since sliced bread for all I know, but anyway you look at it, we certainly paid the costs for those folks as there was no ability for Germany to have done so for themselves.
Dave Hall

Hardly....better the devil you know.....
Jon~