Companies that DESERVE to go bankrupt......

Page 1 of 3
Post your submissions here for companies that DESERVE to go bankrupt.
After rec.woodworking told me how to remove the old one ("removing old doorhandles" 28/03/04) I bought a nice shiny new doorhandle and began my five-minute job. But the new doorhandle latch wouldn't fit because the hole in the door edge was too small. The knob assembly wouldn't fit through the hole in the door, which was also too small.
So I get in my car and 20 minutes later I'm in Home Hardware (Canada, eh?) with the old latch. "Oh", the salesman says. "You have a Dexter lock. You can't replace it with a standard lock. They had their own particular sizes." "Why would they do that?" says I. "So that you could only replace their locks with other Dexter locks", says he. "They thought they'd corner the market." I was a bit confused. "But doesn't that mean", says I, "That no-one with a standard lock would replace theirs with a Dexter" "That's right", he says. "A Dexter would be no use in a standard door." "Well where can I buy a Dexter lock?", asks I. "You can't", he says. "They've gone bankrupt." No sh*t!
So I bought a door kit to resize the holes in the door to fit the standard lock that I'd already bought and by hour 2, I had assembled the tools to do the job. The spade bit drilled the hole in the edge of the door with only a MINIMUM of splintering , but drilling the hole for the doorhandle did not go well. Since there was already a hole, there was no place for the guiding bit and I couldn't think of a way to stabilise the drill, so I ended up with a hole that looked like it had been scratched out by a Bengal Tiger in heat - gouges for an inch in every direction!
At hour 3 I was filling in the Bengal Tiger scratches and at hour 4 applying the touch-up paint.
The door opens and closes with a satisfying "click". But I shudder to think that I have another 20 of these stupid locks in my home.
A company that deliberately made it difficult to replace their product with anything else, Dexter locks is my submission for a company that DESERVED to go bankrupt.
George
George wrote:

George...
Use your hole saw to drill the hole in a piece of plywood or MDF, then clamp this template to the dext door you want to drill. (:

Well, sometimes the combination of greed and stupidity /is/ fatal...
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA
Morris Dovey wrote:

Could you describe the clamping in more detail? Wouldn't the hole saw cut through the clamp?
George

George wrote:

Clamp the piece to the door: One clamp above the hole and one below. Each clamp has a jaw on both sides of the door. The clamp body should be at the door edge (NOT through the hole!).
The template hole should be located at the same height as the old hole; but otherwise as detailed in the installation instructions.
You're going to constrain the hole saw using the template rather than the pilot bit.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

Take a short piece of 2x4 (or 2x6 if you need more width), maybe 6 inches long and drill a hole straight through with the bit that you need to use for the larger hole. Clamp this piece over the hole on the door that needs to be enlarged with the centers of the two holes aligned. Drill away using the 2x hole as a guide to hold the bit in place. It will make the hole without splintering. You may want to drill halfway through each side to prevent blowout.

If every company that did something stupid went bankrupt, ......well just think about it.
Frank
Hey George
Found myself in the same situation about two months ago. Don't recall who made the original lock, it was my SIL's house, but I had to redrill that bad boy to enlarge it. Ended up taking a chunk of tree limb (no scrapwood, go figure) from her back yard and wedging it into the existing hole so the guide bit had something to bit into. Once the hole saw made a deep enough mark in the door, the tree branch was no longer necessary.
Joe

Hi Joe,
Sounds like a Canadian solution. I've fixed a couple of canoes like that over the years!
Best, George

I'll have to agree that some companies deserve what happens.
Now on to your problem. The best way to drill the hole larger is to plug it first. It does not have to be a perfect patch, of course, just a hunk of wood that crosses the center so it will guide the pilot drill in the hole saw. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
I think you are reading too much nefarious intent into the lack of standardization of hole sizes in door lock sets. Not every good idea becomes accepted as the standard. Wanna buy a betamax?
I've been replacing Dexter door sets in my 1980 Houston spec house. For the first one, I turned a disk (with a small lip) on a lathe. The disk exactly fitted the Dexter hole and provided a platform for a hole saw. Then I discovered that our local Ace hardware store has a nifty little kit that they rent out for $20 for 4 hours. The kit has a forsner bit and a guide template that clamps onto the door. Simple and foolproof, it takes about 3 minutes to set up and drill a neat, perfectly positioned hole over the old, undersized hole.

Bubba,
You must be the Dalai Lama of woodworking!

Your calmness and serenity in the face of days of needless work is awesome to behold. And I'm not kidding! Maybe I need to meditate on this a little and lighten up.
There's definitely a moral lesson here somewhere.
Thanks.
George
Ohmmmmmmmmmmm!!! :-)
I re-read my previous post and realised that it sounded really flippant. But I did find your post helpful, and it did strike a chord as far as attitude to adversity is concerned. Thanks.
Maybe I just don't have the temperament for woodworking.
Best, George

I don't know that it was all that flip, I too don't like when some company thinks their idea is so great that their "blurfl" doesn't need to meet the standard, that it will in fact become the new standard. Wrong! Some standards should be left alone.
Starrett makes a clever special arbor for to solve the problem you had. The "Oops arbor." I think I paid about $5 for it.
http://catalog.starrett.com/catalog/catalog/groupf.asp?GrpTab ature&GroupID56
RB
George wrote:

Hummmm.. I wonder if the companies that built, or market their products in other than metric will survive?
And back to your problem, as stated by Morris, simply use a hole saw to cut a proper sized hole into a thin piece of material, 1/4" plywood always works well for me, and clamp it centered over you existing smaller hole. The plywood will guide the hole saw. After the hole saw goes in to your door 1/4", you may remove the plywood template as the hole saw will now guide itself.
But how do you clamp it? Wouldn't the hole saw interfere with the clamp?
George

Use 2 "c" clamps or similar clamps, one above and one below and cut the piece of wood large enough that the clamps do not interfere with the hole saw in the drill. 5" x 12" works well and remember that once the whole saw is started in the door you no longer need the plywood guide. The guide simply holds the hole saw steady until it has entered the door.

... The spade bit drilled the hole in the edge of the door with only a

Spade bits should be illegal...use an auger, or better still, the Stanley "Powerbore."
but drilling the hole for the doorhandle did not go

Next time: take the hole saw off the mandrel and with a rubber mallet gently tap it in the gauged and marked proper location for the new, and larger, hole. Turn and continue to tap in the correct location until a clear path of dings is formed.
Put the hole saw back on the mandrel and, with the drill motor in REVERSE gently start to make the trough/cut uniform without letting the saw "drift" out of the intended cut.
Once down an eighth of an inch, more or less, put the drill in forward and have at it being particularly careful as you approach the far side of the cut...since you won't have a "far side" pilot hole by which to prevent tear out. Angling the saw off perpendicular, just before the end of the cut, will create a slot by which to quickly locate the hole and finish the cut from the other side.
How great it is to see "old women" on the wreck. Too bad they need to encourage actual men to "cover their ears" when civil discussion is taking place. Those who've gained the suffrage should really challenge themselves to join into public discourse with men...particularly when Our Nation's posterity is at risk.
--
Doors - Locks - Weatherstripping
POB 250121 Atlanta GA 30325