Compact Flourescent Lamps

Page 1 of 3
A few months ago(6?) I asked about using CFL's in a shop.
Recommendations were, not a good idea, no reasons given.
So, bought a few 42W, 5100K full spectrum, CRI of 82. Lamp price $12, porcelain screw in fixture, $3. (Need 45 lamps to reach 2.1 W per sq. ft.)
These few I bought seem to be just fine. Everything seems to line up with tube type as to output, life, etc. Except tube fixtures cost more then the whole setup using CFL's. Not HD fixtures. (Lithonia)
May throw in a few 4100K lamps to warm things up a bit, don't know.
What am I missing?
Thanks

Maybe the dangers of breaking them and releasing mercury into the air.
http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/cfl.asp

Aw geeez, not this shit again???? I used to play with mercury when I was a kid... I used to rub it on silver dimes to make them shiny... and I grew up norbal...geeezzz..

When I was a kid, shoe stores used to have X-ray machines you could stick your foot in just to see what it looked like. We survived lots of things that have since proved harmful.
On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 20:41:44 -0400, Richard Evans

Like playing with a bowl of mercury as if it were Jello.

Goodness...I was never lucky enough to have a whole bowl... lucky you!

My 10th grade chemistry teacher - Miss Green - dropped a 500 ml beaker about half full of mercury. We all played with marble-size balls of the stuff for days.
The next year, she dropped a large sealed flask of chlorine gas. They evacuated the science wing for the rest of the day.
Scott
in

I set off a thermite bomb in the hood and they evacuated the school - 2500 kids.

Why?
Oh, it was a high school administrator who made that decision, right?
--
FF

Why did I set off the bomb? I'd done a term paper on thermite bombs - this was only a dozen or so years post WWII.
Why did they evacuate the school? Hood didn't do a very good job and somebody panicked.

Some of us did.
--
FF

Same with tube type. Is there more mercury in CFL's? The above said nothing about a difference.

I'm guessing that there is, based on several observations:
- I've never seen dire warnings about the consequences of breaking the tubes..
- There are not complicated cleanup instructions for broken tubes.
- The landfill accepts tubes but not CFLs.
- I've never seen in the dicusssion of the dangers of CFLs a mention of similar dangers from tubes.

I do, vaguely.
The mercury vapor is needed so that there is a conductive path between the electrodes when the tube is cold, before the gas is ionized.
--
FF

CFLs include PC boards, probably soldered with lead. Lead amount per CFL is probably the same as for an incandescent, however.

I doubt that CFLs would be soldered with lead. There's a witch hunt going on for lead, so most outfits have switched to a lead-free solder.
Puckdropper

On Aug 11, 12:07 am, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:
in

My next dead appliance to take apart to see what's inside.

Here's a comparison re: mercury quantities in different products:
Product Amount of Mercury Number of Equivalent CFLs
Compact fluorescent lamp 5 milligrams 1
Watch battery 25 milligrams 5
Dental amalgams 500 milligrams 100
Home thermometer 500 milligrams 2 grams 100 400
Float switches in sump pumps 2 grams 400
Tilt thermostat 3 grams 600
Electrical tilt switches and relays 3.5 grams 700
: wrote: :> >>What am I missing? :> :> > Maybe the dangers of breaking them and releasing mercury into the air. :> :> >http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/cfl.asp :> :> ?Same with tube type. ?Is there more mercury in CFL's? ?The above said :> nothing about a difference.
: Here's a comparison re: mercury quantities in different products:
Good to know, but it seems the mercury (as vapor) in CFCs is released more immediately into the air than in most of the items you listed. (The air one is breathing while cleaning up a broken CFC).
    -- Andy Barss

How long do you think mercury vapour stays airborne? The stuff sinks like a stone.