Community Workshop?

Page 1 of 2
Is there such a thing as a community workshop where people come together (much as we all do here but in reality) to share ideas and get ideas on projects and then use a shared workshop to make them a reality? Instead of everybody buying their own tools and equipment and working in their own workshops, everything would be shared and maintained by the group. Advice would be given and sought in a friendly fashion and joking and ribbing would be free. In addition, if demand existed, formal classroom courses could be given on specific topics.
Just a thought .......
If you are near Greenville SC the Greenville Woodworkers Guild does just what are writing about. They have a fully equipped shop for use of guild members and they have frequesnt classess on use of the machines, various fabrication techniques, finishing techniques etc.
Russ

Closest thing I have seen in San Francisco area is many co-op shops where some person or group of persons has a site with equipment and workspace and as a commercial venture leases out access and space. "Some" sharing can happen if you get good people but you also have prima donnas, aholes, incoherents, whack jobs, etc. all possibilities also.
Another similar is a community old folks center that has a woodshop. They offer classes to anyone from the community, then once you have been through a basic training course you can rent time in the shop during specific hours. No commercial activity allowed.

Since public schools are public property, would you not be able to gain access to a public school woodshop? I used to jog on the local highschool track all the time.
Mark
DejaVoodoo wrote: ...

... You'll play h-e-double-hockey sticks finding a school w/ a woodshop w/ power tools these days... :(
And, if you do, it's even less unlikely there will access to it outside an adult education class.
With liability today and the way the greens run the schools, I don't think us tree killers have a chance.
I did however get my Powermatic table saw and shaper from a local school that was shutting down their entire, very impressive, shop class infrastructure.

DejaVoodoo wrote:

Insurance issues usually prohibit the shop's use unless enrolled in a sanctioned program.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
On 10/13/2009 11:39 AM, DejaVoodoo wrote:

Around here liability issues seem to prevent them from letting normal people use the shop.
Chris
On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 10:16:21 -0700 (PDT), "SonomaProducts.com"

KW Woodworking and Craft Club in Kitchener Waterloo Ontario works that way. I don't need any stationary woodworking tools at home any more.

a friend of mine moved from florida to sun city az just for http://www.scwclubs.com/Clubs/CT20/forums/thread-view.asp?tid )4 and http://www.scwmetalclub.com /
regards, charlie cave creek, az
Some towns with military bases offer rental facilities. Wichita, KS had such a facility years ago but I don't know if it is still there.
RonB

We have that in NH, it's called "sharing" :-)
Seriously, we have our guild: http://www.gnhw.org/ We have meetings throughout the year, with subgroups for given interests (turning, hand tools, luthiers, etc), and most meetings include a demo or instructional topic where members can share experiences and ask questions. We have two publications that are also geared towards sharing and collaboration, the "Old Saw" for meeting notes and the "Journal" for how-to articles.
As for the shop space, well, we just share. For example, a friend and I are building a set of desks together in my shop, last year I did some turning at someone else's shop. My dad often shows up to use the specialty tools I have that he doesn't. This sharing tends to "just happen" if you have the social network, no organization is needed.
Heck, the guild's BIG (Beginners and Intermediate Group) subgroup does a shared project over the course of the year, just what you're talking about.
DJ Delorie wrote:

Have you asked about insurance coverage under this arrangement?
I've read of one case where this type or arrangement ended up in a large liability suit for a member as the semi-formal arrangement negated the homeowner's liability policy w/o a rider to cover such activity.
Not to be a poopy-partier, but...things to be concerned about/take care to cover these days, unfortunately. :(

The guild has insurance for guild meetings. As for shop space, hey, if a friend wants to come over and use a few tools, that's between them and me. The guild doesn't get involved per se, it's just that everyone happens to know someone nearby who has a shop.
DJ Delorie wrote:

As long as it's one-on-one you're probably safe; more than that or on a regular basis it can get dicey, unfortunately.
That's basically how the case I read of got started; they had a few guys showing up at a member's shop once a month or so. In that case, there were about a half-dozen present and the shop owner's wife had made refreshments. That was the extent of the involvement as a club/guild other than they had established a history of doing this at various places over time.
When a member got fairly seriously hurt his (the injured party) insurance came after his (the shop owner's) who refused coverage on the basis of wasn't a covered use of the shop and the lawsuits stemmed from that and it went downhill from there for the guy whose shop it was.
I think he finally beat the rap of liability/negligence but it wasn't pretty.
It's a scary world out there... :(
Jimbo wrote:

Well, you could try a prison job training program, but there's a downside to the free shop time....
On a more serious note, there are lots of woodworking clubs out there:
http://cincinnatiwoodworkingclub.org /
http://www.niagarawoodcarvers.ca /
http://www.sacramentoareawoodworkers.com/index.php
http://www.sfwg.org /
http://www.woodworkingonline.com/clubs/
: Is there such a thing as a community workshop where people come : together (much as we all do here but in reality) to share ideas and : get ideas on projects and then use a shared workshop to make them a : reality? Instead of everybody buying their own tools and equipment : and working in their own workshops, everything would be shared and : maintained by the group. Advice would be given and sought in a : friendly fashion and joking and ribbing would be free. In addition, : if demand existed, formal classroom courses could be given on specific : topics. : : Just a thought .......
Depends on where you are. Is there a TechShop in your area? http://techshop.ws/locations.html Art
: : Depends on where you are. : Is there a TechShop in your area? : http://techshop.ws/locations.html : Art : PS. There are more locations than shown in the above link. Google "techshop locations" Art
Artemus wrote:

The best I can find, along with the list on their own web sites say there are currently three location and they are in the process of building about nine more. It appears they've been saying that since 2007.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Almost all of which are coming 'mid 2008'.
D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

http://derekl1963.livejournal.com /