Common Courtesy

Some chucklehead complained a while back that the regulars in the newsgroup don't offer up much in the way of advice.

I'd beg to differ with that. I think that there is a strong core of people who go out of their way to answer questions.

What can be a little frustrating is when you spend a good bit of time thinking of a response and turning it into keystrokes - and the thread just goes away without so much as a, 'thank you'.

I know, it's Usenet ("It's Chinatown, Jake".) but the Wreck has never been about the typical sort of interaction that occurs on most groups.

If folks would act with the same sort of common human decency that they would use in a face-to-face social interaction - that means, "thank you for your efforts on my behalf", other folks who might know the answer to the question might be more motivated to respond.

It's a simple thing, really.

Am I whining?

Sure - but it ain't real bad whining - and it goes to a point.

Regards, Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.) tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson

Tom,

I'm probably the one you're whining about and my comments were based on your posts at the time. A review of your posts will substantiate that you only made two posts (in about a months time) that offered any advice concerning woodworking. You had posts about selling some of your equipment, some stories, poems and some other nonsense posts concerning the troll.

While you have attained somewhat of a following here Tom, it appears to be for your stories and a way with words - not your woodworking skills so it seems. You were challenged by another concerning that also and seemed very agitated that your credentials were questioned. You seldom make any on-topic posts - so what's your problem?

In my post I don't recall resorting to name calling when I referenced you but you obviously can't provide the same courtesy. I certainly don't know what it is you're out to prove but you have become a one-man band on a crusade to boost your ego - any way you can.

Your stories are cute, you can write - now how about helping those that have legit woodworking questions and take a few moments to answer their questions. I initially thought you were a professional but you have proven otherwise.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob

Amen, Mr. Watson. I have posted a few questions on this forum occasionally, and have always gotten good advice from several regulars. Before posting, I have done my homework by searching the web, by study of my meager library, and even by trying on scraps of wood. Many times, I found answers to fit my needs via a Google search.

My sense of the problem is that a lot of folks post a question here as a first and only resort, rather than as a last or next-to-last resort. Many times, I found answers to posted queries through a brief Google or other search - a method the posers might try for themselves first, rather than expecting the regulars here to spoon-feed them.

I also do a lot of lurking in a couple of the Microsoft forums and am amazed at the number of queries repeatedly posted which in many, many cases could be answered with the simple expedient of pressing F1 for online help on the posers' computers.

Amazing!

Reply to
Lu Powell

I'm not sure how much of a compliment I'd take this to be. I mean, puppies, bunnies and kittie cats are cute.

UA100, some times offerer of good advice (advise in wreakspeak) but mostly lurking lately...

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Usenet sometimes. :) The question now is, do ya feel better for having whined over some perceived slight(s)??

dave

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

so true, so true. TW uses his abilities to assemble the English language in ways known to increase his standing with the miscreants that he longs to impress...

dave

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

I sometimes get the feeling that some people make posts, not looking for information, but rather affirmation of some idea they have.

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Good points Tom..

And as far as common courtesy and a Thank You goes, IMHO, TIA or Thanks in Advance is tacky.

Reply to
Leon

Reply to
Mark L.

naah, not at all.

sometimes I think usenet was created to break humans of expecting reciprocation for a good deed, even if it's only a nod.

Reply to
Kazoo

I respectfully disagree. Tom proved his professionalism a long time ago, and if he chooses now to retire to the role of storyteller and elder here on the wreck I not only support but encourage him. We need more elders who are prepared to judge and comment on the foolishness they see through the lens of their life's learning.

A well-formed respectful question will, in my experience, ALWAYS get a good response in this forum.

Rudeness, stupidity (as opposed to ignorance or lack of knowledge), or provocation, OTOH, will get what it deserves... sarcasm, ridicule, even shunning depending on the severity of the offense. Lord knows I've (deservedly) been on the receiving end of same from time to time.

Everyone who frequents the wreck does so because they CHOOSE to. Nobody is under any obligation here.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Cheese goes with many different varieties of whine... Its sometimes a very good cheese like aged sharp cheddar, gouda or brie but can also be among those such as limburger that are much less sought after...

Thank You Tom.

Reply to
Mark Hopkins

Wed, Jun 30, 2004, 8:13pm snipped-for-privacy@abccomcast.net (Lu=A0Powell) says: Before posting, I have done my homework

I, for one, am much more apt to answer, or try to, someone's questions, or give a reasonable answer, if I think they've done their homework.

My sense of the problem is that a lot of folks post a question here as a first and only resort, rather than as a last or next-to-last resort.

Yep, and some of them do that because their time is "too valuable" to spend looking for something. I lump them in the same group that brag about just spending $1,000 + for a new whatever, and then want a free plan. Makes you wonder at times.

Personally, I'd almost rather slash my wrists than ask a question here. I do ask once in awhile tho, normally when I've been looking for someone without success, for days, or in at least one case, for about 3 months. But, as a rule I know I can usually find what I'm looking for in side of 10 minutes. Seems like a lot more efficient use ot time, then posting here, and not getting an answer for probably a day.

Many times, I found answers to posted queries through a brief Google or other search

Most of the questions here could be answered the same way. Especially if they checked the archives. But, they don't.

Amazing!

I used to work for a Navy LCDR. He would attend the little meetings they were always having - this was in the Pentagon. He would come back and telll me that they would ask his opinion, and he would always say, "That's amazing". Then he'd say, you can always tell if someone's a gentleman. Because a gentleman always says "amazing", instead of "bullshit". ROTFLMAO

JOAT "That's right," he said. "We're philosophers. We think, therefore we am."

- From Small Gods

Reply to
J T

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 19:22:31 -0400, Tom Watson calmly ranted:

Right, and a single "thanks to all" message will do. They don't even need to post long reples to each and every responder.

Right you are, Tawm.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Bingo... I'd prefer to not have to scan thru individual thank you's...

And, for the many times I'm sure I've forgotten, may I be the first to offer a collective "THANK YOU!" to all?

Reply to
patrick conroy

NOT PERSONALY DIRECTED DIATRIBE FOLLOWS

Why shouldn't the wreck be the first resort?

I never have got this DAGS insistence.....

I use the wreck like I used Fidonet years ago, a collection of mates, old farts, wise ones and fools, all chinwagging. Why shouldnt I lean across the bar (keyboard) and ask a mate the question instead of going to the library or news archive?

You see, a collection of people in a room, would not say to each other

"Hey man, don't ask me that question again - go and read where it was written up in my memoirs!"

To me, I reckon if you have that attitude, you should shut up, rather than say,

"I refuse to respond helpfully, because I have spoken before upon this subject"

Gee - rant rant rant...

All better now... Just my opinion - which is worth EXACTLY the same as yours....whoever you may be behind that pink Tutu.

Oh, and don't start on top posting. I was emailing and newsgrouping before the Internet became fashionable.

Mike Brisbane Fidonet Mail hub 3:640/301 :-)

Oh, and PS - Big thanks for the incredible learning tool that the Wreck crew provides. Yes - even the "Miscreants", and the BAD's and the JT's etc etc etc....

Reply to
Mike Richardson

Mike Richardson rants:

You don't know the same people I do, then. "Go look it up" has always been a fine and satisfactory way to provide impetus to gathering information. As a certified old fart, I refuse to provide definitions of more complex words to my now teen-aged (jeez, they're aging!) grandchildren. They remember the information longer if they put at least a teeny bit of effort into gaining it.

Too, give some thought to perennial subjects like rusty cast iron. How many times do you think someone wants to cover the different ways of removing rust and protecting table saw andjointer surfaces?

Yeah, well...responding is one thing. Responding 50 times to the same question is another.

Especially when fewer keyboard strokes will bring up all 49 previous answers, plus 1500 from other people, on the subject.

Charlie Self "It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man." H. L. Mencken

Reply to
Charlie Self

6/27/04-Bookcase Questions 6/23/04 -Conference Table Finish 6/17/04-Long Story - Short Question 6/13/04-Bit The Bullet Today 6/10/04 -Workbench Material Choice 6/7/04- W+H, was Boxes a la Tom Watson 6/3/04- Oak Table Restoration Refinishing 6/1/04- Solid Surface Supplier

A review of my posts substantiates that you are full of crap.

Regards, Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.) tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson

Each time the rust question is posed, it seems, there are many answers given. In a book or article (by a lesser author, of course) perhaps one or two, with number two suffering by comparison. They may seem the same, but some are nuanced, or expanded occasionally to add a bit of fresh insight.

Then there's the chance that serendipity or a new product may change the game forever, like with the tablesaw hot-dog slicer that doesn't work.

So, if you don't care to answer for the fifty-first time - don't. Can get frustrating, I'll admit, to realize that someone is working with powered tools and hasn't the agility to crack a book, but every one of us asked or looked up those same questions once.

When my eldest was about two, I was changing a washer in my shower. It was one of those slimy rubber jobs, and as was checking the seat, he reached for it. I was about to give the "old-timer" smack often administered here, when I thought of my dad. If he hadn't allowed me to interfere, I'd never have learned a thing. I brought my boy into the tub and let him "help," and he ended up an engineer, who also loves woodworking.

Reply to
George

Tom, Do you think it's time for me to quote the opening paragraphs of Davey's mini-FAQ for *Mr. Bobs* edification?

Reply to
Norman D. Crow