Common Courtesy

Page 2 of 5
Richard A. wrote:

Come as a powder, mix with water and heat and you've got something that if you don't inspect it too closely bears a slight resemblance to scrambled eggs. Helps to add lots of salt and pepper and Tabasco. Doesn't help _much_ mind you. Check backpacking shops if you want to give them a try (dried chicken eggs that is--haven't ever seen dried ostrich eggs at a backpacking shop).
--
--John
J. Clarke wrote:

I was going to say that I was in the Navy but still never saw dried eggs, then I read the next post. I always thought those eggs were a little suspicious. Hmmmm. I may never know.
Rich
calmly ranted:

So does most beef, Weegee.
-- "Not always right, but never uncertain." --Heinlein -=-=- http://www.diversify.com Wondrous Website Design

distinctive rich flavor all their own.
I guess you don't hunt rabbit, huh?
Bob wrote:

English language in ways known to increase his standing with the miscreants that he longs to impress...
dave

I respectfully disagree. Tom proved his professionalism a long time ago, and if he chooses now to retire to the role of storyteller and elder here on the wreck I not only support but encourage him. We need more elders who are prepared to judge and comment on the foolishness they see through the lens of their life's learning.
A well-formed respectful question will, in my experience, ALWAYS get a good response in this forum.
Rudeness, stupidity (as opposed to ignorance or lack of knowledge), or provocation, OTOH, will get what it deserves... sarcasm, ridicule, even shunning depending on the severity of the offense. Lord knows I've (deservedly) been on the receiving end of same from time to time.
Everyone who frequents the wreck does so because they CHOOSE to. Nobody is under any obligation here.
djb
<snip>

You, Dave? Nah, don't believe it.(G,D,&R)

Absolutely!
--
Nahmie
The first myth of management is that management exists.

Nahmie, if'n you don't believe me, you could always DAGS...
;-D

6/27/04-Bookcase Questions 6/23/04    -Conference Table Finish 6/17/04-Long Story - Short Question 6/13/04-Bit The Bullet Today 6/10/04    -Workbench Material Choice 6/7/04-    W+H, was Boxes a la Tom Watson 6/3/04-    Oak Table Restoration Refinishing 6/1/04-    Solid Surface Supplier
A review of my posts substantiates that you are full of crap.
Regards, Tom.

Tom, Do you think it's time for me to quote the opening paragraphs of Davey's mini-FAQ for *Mr. Bobs* edification?
--
Nahmie
The first myth of management is that management exists.
Norman,
I think that if you verified a few facts that maybe you would find that Tom isn't really telling the whole story.
Bob S.

Bob, I have, although not to put too fine a point on it, I didn't count all his posts back through May & June to compare OT etc. However, this was during the height of the *troll wars*, and I can cut Tom some slack on that, because He Who Shall Remain Unnamed was being a real PITA, and has been in my killfile under many different guises for some time.
Tom has offered a lot of good advice in my time here on the wRECk, and I fully expect him to offer more.
It did surprise me to see you jump in with the response you did to Tom's OP, you seemed a little more hostile than I normally think of you as being.
To finish, do you know what paragraph I was referring to?
--
Nahmie
The first myth of management is that management exists.
Norman,
When his post starts out with "Some chucklehead complained a while back ...." in reference to my post - that tends to piss one off. It appears that any opinion that differs from his is wrong. My comment was a generalization that more posts were being made about the troll than about woodworking. If you go back and read some of those, he was purposely baiting the individual and taunting him. He could have simply filtered him out (as everyone was advocating) or put him in his killfile. No... he wanted to make his case and prove a point - whatever that may have been.
Talk of shunning etc. with a whole list of followers began ... real kids stuff. I swear, if Tom ever makes an abrupt stop - there will be a lot of brown noses all over the rec....
I'm NOT condoning what Dave did and as you'll recall, I was at the end of his ugly stick several times. But I think the man has some problems and simply filtering him rather than publicly taunting and aggravating the situation even more was not a good reaction. That "ganging up" is what set me off. Tom couldn't fight his own battle or handle the situation so in typical fashion - he called in the rest of the gang to do the deed for him - the defacto ring leader in this instance.
Dave was being a PITA but I still don't believe he was the troll some were making him out to be. Dave made some honest and sincere posts and did his best to help someone when he could. He obviously couldn't handle criticism well and would retaliate -- and we all saw the results of that.
It is that gangland mentality that Tom perpetuated and the reliance on his following of soldiers to rid the rec of a troll... Wrong way of doing it... So let me tell you a story now of how even a bigger nuisance was convinced not to bother the rec recently.
Remember the vulgar and vile posts we were getting via the remailer service - Dizum? Don't see him anymore do you.. No, he didn't get tired and wander away all on his own. It was a combined effort and since I don't have the individuals permission to use his name, I'll just call him "the good guy from Oz". He helped compile a listing of the posts and forwarded them to me. Along with those 75 posts, plus some emails and phone calls to the Attorney Generals Office and to Dizum - the problem was solved. It may be a temporary fix but it was done quietly, in the background and it was expedient. That individual made BAD look good in comparison but the fact is, there are ways of dealing with problems when they get to the stage this one had gotten to and it doesn't take a gangland mentality to do it either.
I see now that Tom is back to offering some good advice - again. It may be that he realized he was doing more complaining than helping. Yes, he's a good writer and a story teller - no argument. But he used that talent to denigrate others and to solicit them to follow his actions.
If the group really has adopted his attitude and support his actions (and I don't think the majority have), then this place has gone to hell and I'll leave. I don't want to have any ass kicking contests with Tom or anyone else but when he starts with the name calling you can damn well bet he's going to get a rebuttal and a dressing down he deserves.
And to answer your last question - no I do not know the paragraph you're referencing...
Bob S.

Bob wrote:

specifically what I did to upset you. :) If you didn't deserve it, I apologize and make no excuses. In any event, you have hit quite a few "nails" on the "head" with your observation about TW and his cronies who shall always be immortalized as the "miscreants" in my view. I never saw a newsgroup with such a group of adolescent older men who crave so much support from their peers. They go to any length to fit in, regardless of how foolish they appear. Witness TW's endless attacks on me earlier this year. If I was the complaining type, I would have contacted his ISP. My ISP received complaints from some bozos here but since I'm the paying customer, the ISP chalked it up to the typical nonsense of tattletales on the net and disregarded the complaints. I thought it had to be the work of someone so pathetic that I actually felt sorry for them! Reminded me of a whining little brat going up to a teacher at recess to complain that "Johnny hit me!". Gimmie a break!
cheers!
dave

Hey! When the brain(?) gets as old and rusty as mine, it takes a lot of power & time to get it cranked up, the grease thinned out enough that the belts stop slipping and burning! Have a little sensitivity here!
--
Nahmie
No Tom, I don't think so. Like you, I just did a search for your posts on Google and your off-topic posts far exceed the woodworking related posts - 22 to 8 for June alone.

So now we've gone from the two that you claimed previously to eight?
I can only hope that your woodworking tolerances don't vary by four hundred percent.
Regards, Tom.
Nice return Tom. I did a local search (using Outlook) which at the time showed only the two.
Today, I did a Google search (since you brought this up and decided to toss some dirt) and it showed 22 off-topic and 8 on-topic posts for June. May was the month I was referencing in the OP and you made 91 off-topic or otherwise self-serving posts to 6 on-topic posts where you actually answered a question for someone.
As I said at the beginning of June, it was a draw on who to put in the killfile - you, BAD or both. You're really no better than he was when it comes to distorting facts or belittling someone.
And I can assure you that my woodworking tolerances are accurate.
Bob S.

If you're going to killfile him, do it and move on. If not, shut up about it. Of the two of you I'd rather read Tom's off-topic blather than your off-topic blather about his off-topic blather. What I really do is read the threads that seem interesting and ignore the rest. You should try it. If it all upsets you that much try this, stop reading the group. That way you won't be bothered by Tom's posts and we won't be bothered by you.
Tim
Good advice - hopefully you'll take a shot at following it too. If you had, you wouldn't have made this post.
Bob S.