Comments on Wood Mag Tablesaw shootout?

I just finished reading cabinet saw review in this month's Wood magazine. I can't really fault their evaluation but a couple of surprises came up. The cut on the Jet was poor and I'm not sure why. Jet's blade selection? The other surprise most of the HDPE fences were not flat. I have the HTC HDPE fence and love the slick sliding performance. I haven't measured for flatness, but it would be very minute and hasn't caused any problems. Probably the biggest surprise was that the General finished ahead of the Unisaw.

What did the rest of the wreck think? Mark

Reply to
Mark

Dave W

I think that if the General didn't finish #1, either their QC is slipping or they don't advertise in the magazine.

Reply to
Steve

I'm confused as to why you are surpised the General finished ahead of the venerable, but toppable, Unisaw!!

dave

Mark wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

I was not surprised at all that General finished ahead of Delta. I was surprised that Delta finished ahead of Powermatic. And while the Shop Fox fence was praised for no deflection, it was indicated that a rip narrower than 1.5" was impossible with that fence unless you took the guard off the saw. Apparently the rear lock comes in contact worth the guard mount. I wonder however why so much emphasis was put on fence deflection when with proper technique the deflection does not come into play. Seems to me that too much emphasis was placed on areas that don't matter much and not enough on areas that should have mattered more.

Reply to
Leon