Comments on this tool

I've been nursing a DeWalt 9.6 drill for a while and saw this Hitachi kit for $150. Not a lot of details on the tools. Anyone have any experience with these tools or factory reconditioned in general. I recall a few posts saying factory reconditioned was the way to go for good deals. I have no experience with Hitachi tools

link that led me to amazon was this one:

may just have to buy that.

Reply to
RayV

The Hitachi sneaker-looking tools are so new, I don't think anyone has much experience with them. One of my WW mags reviewed the plunge router and made it sound like a real pile, and another said it was OK for the price. I'd wait for them to work the kinks out on these.

Yeah, if you can get the warranty, and you don't care about cosmetics (which I don't).

Reply to
boorite

Sure - I've had very good luck with factory reconditioned power tools from Amazon, but I'd be a little more cautious about anything with batteries. If it still has the mfr warranty, it would probably be safe. On the other hand, it's only about $200 for a new Makita 14.4 or Panasonic 15.6V cordless drill with NiMH batteries, and I've heard good things about both of those. If it were up to me, the difference in price isn't worth the questions on quality or reliability. Just my opinion, Andy

Reply to
Andy

How on earth does Hitachi already have an inventory of reconditioned sneaker-style tools? They just came out with them?

I smell an 'anti-dumping law workaround' rat.

I do really like their M12V plunge router though.

Robatoy

I've got two Hitachi 14 V drills at work right now . One old style one new funky style , both see use every day. No problems so far but they are only 6 to 8 months old. They have the power I need for what I'm do with them .One did drill all the pilot holes (12) and (8 or 9) of the 3/8" holes in a 10" I beam before I had to change batteries. They get the most use doing parts take off and reinstall on small diesel engines. If that's any help to you. Jim

Reply to
Jim Northey

Returns from the big-box stores?

Reply to
Doug Miller

They've been around for at least a year.

Reply to
CW

I've had a reconditioned set of Rigid from cummingstool.com. Couldn't be happier. I stopped buying Makita about a year ago after getting a brand new 14.4 with plastic gears. Lou

Reply to
loupark

It seems that the "new" M12 is not as good as the old version.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Additionally, do your pricing homework.

My favorite reconditioned dealer sells PC690's for 40% off, the miter saw I bought for 50% off, but a $200 DeWalt cordless drill is only $10 off!

I have a local "Black and Decker / DeWalt Repair Center Store" that sells reconditioned DeWalt for more than Coastal Tools sells the same stuff, brand new, for less, only 8 miles away.

I like reconditioned tools, but the savings needs to be significant.

Reply to
B A R R Y

It looks like a decent price and people seem to like their Hitachi routers. I have several reconditioned tools and have never had a problem.

You should decide what you want the tools for first though. I have both 12v and 18v DeWalts and like the 12v more. They are lighter and are powerful enough 95% of the time. I guess I am suggesting you go with lighter tools unless you need the power. Oh, and I use my cordless reciprocating saw about once a year; but perhaps you need one more than I do...

Reply to
Toller

I've never said, "you know, I could really use a cordless reciprocating saw now", or a cordless circular saw either (there was that one time I was cutting a 16' 2x10 in half in the Borg parking lot). However, I never needed a cordless drill either until I inherited the 9.6V DW. Now I don't go or do anything without it unless it requires my hammer drill.

I have rarely come across something that needed more than 9.6V except maybe battery time. The only time I switched to a drill with a tail was when I needed to screw down the boards on a 12x25 deck and I doubt even the big bad 18V drills could handle that. I also hang my drill on my belt quite often so I am not really looking to upgrade to one of those monsters.

Maybe I should just get a new 9.6DW for $80 and put the $70 towards that drill press...

Reply to
RayV

I've had very good luck with reconditioned tools... most are ok anyway, but have been opened and returned..

I may be wrong, but my gut feeling is that reconditioned tools get a bit more quality control on the way out the door because they KNOW that they had a problem, and the tools coming off the line are more "assumed ok".. YMWV

My main problem in this area is where sellers hide the fact that they're reconditioned... Mac

mac davis

I have 2 of the Craftsman 19.2v drills... great drivers with a lot of torque but I consider them bench tools... wouldn't want to hang them on a belt or do a lot of over head work with 'em..

What they're good at is the grunt work like driving or removing lag bolts or replacing fence pickets when the screws have had time to get stubborn..

I also take one on RV trips to raise and lower the stabilizing jacks.... takes less time to do 4 jacks with the drill and a 3/4" socket than it takes to do one by hand..

NOTE: If using a high-torque driver like these, USE THE CLUTCH... I left one on the "drill" setting, which is no clutch, when I was driving a 5" lag bolt and damn near broke my wrist when the going got tough..... Mac

mac davis