Comments on Sketchup

Page 3 of 4

On 9/17/2010 9:53 PM, Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

The point was that for years typing a link into a browsers address bar that contained spaces in a file name would add %20 in place of the spaces.
That convention has apparently gone by the wayside in the latest FireFox version.
It still does it in IE8.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 9/18/2010 8:39 AM, Swingman wrote:

On 9/18/2010 8:48 PM, Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

Good idea ... indeed, they have been responsive in the past.
Thanks!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

I learned over a decade ago to avoid -any- spaces in filenames. WordCapitalizationMakesItReadableByTheLessAware.txt
-- Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Hungarian something or other, Prolly the same twisted bastid that gave us RPN.
On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 21:53:56 -0700, "Lobby Dosser"

Poles got numbers? Sheesh, next they'll be inverting electricity and sending it Down Under.
-- Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.

A.K.A. CamelCase. I always use it in my (electronics) designs.

Nothing wrong with RPN. "Algabraic" calculators are the pits. They all have a different way of doing things.
On 9/17/2010 8:12 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

And waaaay over a decade ago you were basically limited to an 8.3 file name in DOS.
Windows users came out of that dark age circa Win 95.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

sheesh 32 for us guys since 1984

And what do you know? Look, it's _still_ causing problems. (spaces, not LFNs)
-- Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.
On 9/17/2010 8:12 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

If you create a file and you want it to be easily accessible by as many people in as many environments as possible, do the world a favor and leave out the spaces. Just because you CAN use blanks doesn't mean you should. CapitalizeEachWord or_use_underscores instead, and you'll never have a file boomerang back at you from some person or program complaining that "I couldn't open it!"
As a software developer of almost 30 years, I can tell you that there are long-standing and well-entrenched programs and interfaces at almost every level that just aren't designed to accommodate file names with embedded blanks. If I could only have back all the untold hours I've spent trying to glue such programs together with hacks and patches I'd have far fewer gray hairs.
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
On 9/19/2010 9:37 AM, Steve Turner wrote:

You're preaching to the choir, Bubba ...co-developed the very first _windows_ FidoNet mail software (WinMail), and later ported it to tcp/ip protocols instead of modem to modem handshaking, in the early days of the internet ... I'm no noob when it comes to both software developmentand understanding of tcp/ip protocols and how they are handled by almost every type of software, both client and server.
Once again, the problem was that, AS A CHECK FOR VALIDITY, I copied the url from the address bar of FireFox (where they were pasted to make sure they worked before putting then in an nntp message).
It turns out that FireFox has suddenly broken the convention of using "%20" in file name spaces in their latest update, just hours before.
My fault for not noticing that before posting ... mea culpa.
That said, I will do my personal file naming conventions as I damn well please and if anyone wants to take advantage of my largess when providing them for illustrative purposes, then they can damn well take them as they come when accepting, flies and all, or not ... their choice.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 9/19/2010 10:12 AM, Swingman wrote:

Cool stuff. You say "co-developed"; was Al Gore involved?

Hadn't noticed that. Shame on them.

LOL! Well I did say if "you _want_ it to be easily accessible...". If you don't _want_ it to, then that's fine by me. :-) Actually I'm jumping into this conversation late without paying any attention to who said what, so my apologies if you took it as an affront. I was just making a general observation. :-)
On 9/20/2010 9:31 AM, Steve Turner wrote:

Big Al still wouldn't know the back end of a database or GUI if _you_ bit him in the ass.

No affront .. just amazed how inadvertently hitting the space bar when actually trying to help someone by loading/naming a couple of files on a remote web server, and then trying to insure a valid url, can inspire such eloquence around here. :D
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

As a software developer of 45 years, I'll second that!
Grrr if its not one thing its another.... am downloading V 8 so I can open the file.
WOW getting a wealth of info that is not available anywhere else.
Can't read the comments (all very good) to fast otherwise I might miss something... :-)
Marty
On 9/17/2010 2:47 PM, Swingman wrote:

You misspelled 'large ass'.
On 9/20/2010 12:28 PM, RicodJour wrote:

Real thoughtful contribution to the thread ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 9/17/2010 1:47 PM, Swingman wrote:

And here's the finished product built from the Sketchup file:
http://picasaweb.google.com/karlcaillouet/HutchEndCabinets?authkey=Gv1sRgCOGisIKLveDykgE #
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010