Combining projects, or how to fix a chopping board

My wife took MY favorite chopping board, a very nice large older one, and used it for a project of hers. Her project was to poke holes in some project of hers with an ice pick, using the wood chopping block as a backup. (She since went to the fabric store and bought the proper punch, saying the chopping board did a "sloppy" job on her project.) I now have a chopping block with about 25 1/4" deep holes in it, the size of the tip of an ice pick. What would be the best material to fill the holes with, then, probably sand flush. Something that wouldn't come out, or sluff off with time. Since I only use KNIVES on it, there should be no problem of them being punched or gouged out unless the grandkids are given it by SWMBO for butchering lizards or similar.
These women. They can use your stuff in the most outlandish way, ruin it, but don't you dare touch any of their stuff.
And then say, "What's the problem? Just fix it!" Or, "Wassamatta? You have two of them, and that one your Dad gave you was getting old anyway?"
Sheesh. Think I'll use her nice white placemats next time I need to wash Big Red, and see how she likes it.
"Oh, Honey, don't you like the way the grey tones accentuate the white?"
Steve
On 10/28/2013 12:57 PM, SteveB wrote:

What does the reverse side look like?

Put a wet dishrag on it and use HER iron to steam the hell out of it. With luck the holes will swell closed. Art
"Artemus" wrote in message

+1
This will probably work just fine...
John

I'm envisioning a Halloween (stab'um with an ice pick) scene.
On Monday, October 28, 2013 2:31:28 PM UTC-5, Artemus wrote:

h luck the holes will swell closed. Art
I vote this route. Even if the holes don't close completely, they may be m uch smaller to not matter, too much. Smaller holes: Maybe drive some round ed tooth picks into the holes and hope they seat themselves, securely, and not look obvious. *Try a few tooth picks before committing to all the hole s.
Sonny
"SteveB" wrote in message
[...]
On our chopping board as it gets nicks and deep cuts I fill with JB Weld and after set up for 24 hours use belt sander to even it smooth. Then treat with MINERAL OIL. Let it soak in and them wipe off excess. This board is over 50 years old. WW
On Monday, October 28, 2013 11:57:38 AM UTC-5, SteveB wrote:

How thick is it? I would be inclined to hand plane it down if it's a couple of inches or more thick and it's not too wide and long. Some kind of fill will look like crap.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

Maybe mine is also an aesthetic choice but I like this suggestion for sanitary reasons; particularly if the block's used for cutting meat.

Water would be my first step swell them holes closed.
Mark
I agree with Sonny, toothpicks. Great, inexpensive solver for problem hole s. If there's some way to compress the fibers (rub them between two butter knives?) before you pound them into the holes, it would be better. Cut th em off flush with the surface. Follow up with a soaking in hot water to sw ell the fibers back up, and they should never come out.
Or a combination of suggestions, plane a little AND steam a lot.
Sonny

These women? Last time I loaned out my grinder to the neighbor guy, he sheared off the head bolt while trying to grind off the front end bolts on his mini van. I got back a useless device.

I'm the one who fixes things here. Hubby is the one who breaks them.

Place mats? What are those?? Not sure I want to ponder on what 'Big Red' is.

Huh? What language is this??

Napkins? Oh! I only use my husband's old shirts for that.

Iron? Does someone still use that archaic device??
In this house, I'm the one with tools, the one who fixes things, the one who builds things. I don't wear high heels, makeup or jewelry. The money for those things goes for new tools. My best gifts come from my father-in-law who used to send me 80lb plus boxes of tools, and socks and underwear for hubby.
`Casper
On 10/29/2013 9:44 AM, Casper wrote:

+1 You go, girl!
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Oh no you dit'n.
On 10/29/2013 10:44 AM, Casper wrote:

So, instead of "these women" he should have said "those women"? Just trying to clarify.

++1