cologne stuck like glue

hey anybody out there,
i have a bottle of mens cologne on my wood dresser that is stuck like glue. i don't know what happen. some years ago, i belive it fell to it's side and there must have been some kind of slight leak. well,it's been laying on it's side STUCK to the wood for years now. I've been tempted to beat it with a hammer and get it off. but my big fear is that it will break open and my room will smell like mens cologne for eternity. any suggestions? Charles
Well, one idea is if the wood is finished with Shellac then perhaps the alcohol in the cologne disolved the Shellac then after it dried, the Shellac hardened.
Try using alcohol or acetone if it's real stuck. Of course th finish will need repair.

Permit me one more mention of how shellac is not my choice of finish for jewelry boxes?
I wouldn't pull or saw. Solvent will remove it, the dissolved finish might rub out well enough to maintain color. If not, get some colors and add to the repaired area.
Very likely alcohol, that's a main component of cologne. Is your dresser a valuable antique or heirloom? If not, I'd give alcohol a try. It's fairly easy to repair the finish with shellac afterward. If it's valuable ($ or sentiment) you might consider taking it to a furniture refinisher for removal and repair. Good luck.
I think it's like SonomaProducts.com said, the alcohol probably disolved the shellac and rehardened against the bottle.
I would try using some thin nylon twine wrapped around two pencils and sliding it back and forth to cause it to 'saw' it's way through the shellac as close to the bottle as possible. If you don't have nylon twine, try using unwaxed dental floss (don't bother with the waxed stuff), or some other strong thread (like the kind of thread you would stitch jeans with or a jacket). It will probably break often and require a lot of paticence, but it should allow you to break the seal close to the bottle.
Try not to use force to remove the bottle because the wood will probably give before the bond between the bottle and the wood does (that is, you'll remove a chunk of wood from the shelf).
X_HOBBES
Perhaps a little bit of heat carefully applied will help loosen up the finish, in conjunction with the ideas above.
steve
Top-Poster Bob here. I just can't resist this one. Since your cologne bottle has been stuck to your dresser for years, you are obviously a meticulous housekeeper, and are in a big rush to get this problem resolved. You should fill a vat large enough to accommodate the entire dresser with a suitable stripper to remove the finish and the bottle. Submerge the entire mess into the vat thereby removing the bottle along with the finish. (regardless of the original cause for the bottle/dresser adhesion). You will be left with an interesting refinish project on the dresser as well as a newly freed cologne bottle. If you are not inclined to undertake the refinish project, then a second method might be to practice your golf pitching wedge technique to remove the bottle. I don't recommend a sand wedge, as they are designed to "bounce" off of the underlying surface thereby damaging the surface of your well maintained dresser. Be creative. This is not an unsolvable problem.
P.S. for those who are confused by top posting, scroll down for the original message.
Sarcastic s.o.b.:
Bob