Collet extension question

Howdy, Just bought a collet extension and noticed the paperwork warned that it would put a strain on all parts. Couple of questions: Is it worth premature wear and would use of it void the warranty on a router.

TIA

Reply to
spiderrman

No

No. you take it out if you have to have it serviced.

When things spin at 25,000 RPM, I don't want them in some aftermarket extension that may not balance properly. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
spiderrman

I use one (MLCS) in a table mounted 3hp router and haven't had a problem - yet. But to answer your question, if you install a 2-1/2" long double-flute straight bit in your router and exert a lot of lateral force, it too would probably cause some premature wear on the bearing inside the router. How much and how long you do it are the determining factors. Casual use - as used in hobby woodworking, I'll probably be replacing my router for other reasons before any side load I exert on the router will have any ill effects.

Warranty - unless the warranty excludes use of bits of a certain size or length - I wouldn't worry about it. Make sure the extender is mounted fully in the collet, the bit you're using is mounted fully into the extender and both are properly tightened. Fire it up to the recommended speed for the bit size (assumes you have variable speed) and see if it has any vibrations that scare the hell out of you.

If it spins okay, sounds okay and looks okay and the router isn't skipping across the shop floor, try making some light cuts. Use caution and use hold-downs, featherboards and push sticks, safety glasses (Oh....Norm....) etc. as needed just in case something spinning very quickly decides to depart even quicker than you can blink.

If you have to extend probably more than 1" then I would say - find a different way of making the cut. If you're not familiar with Pat Warner's site,

you should give it a look. I haven't checked recently, but I don't think Pat endorses this extender for the simple reason it does have some safety issues and Pat certainly advocates doing things safely. I bought mine to make some oversized moldings that really required a shaper or molder and I didn't have either and it was a small one-off project. Spending $25 versus a couple grand made sense but I damn well made sure I had all the safety items in-place to protect myself.

It's a tool and like all - it can cause some serious damage the second you take a shortcut or not have your mind on what your doing.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

CMT, one of the most respected European names in high-speed router tooling make one of these things.

I don't care. I'm still not going _near_ the damned thing ! 20K rpm is an unholy speed that's fit only for angels dancing on the heads of pins. Mortal man is not meant to rotate things so fast, and does so only on sufferance. Thou shalt not put the Lord thy God to the test, nor shalt thou do it thy router.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Thanks to all who took the time to respond. I guess to be on the safe side, I should forget about it.

Reply to
spiderrman