collet/bit problem resolution

Just thought I'd post the answer to my "bit won't stay in" problem.

The collet did not have the slits in it so tightening the nut did nothing. I spent hours on this and my mom called Sears and spent and hour griping (they couldn't find the record of her buying it on her Sears card even though the miter saw was there which she bought that same day) and she finally got them to let her return it to the store she bought it from and the sales guy dug up one just like mine even though that model had been discontinued. The collet had three thin slits in it and now I am able to rout (sp?).

Thanks to all who replied to me. I don't like Sears stuff but when it's a gift.....

Tim

Reply to
Tim Simmons

Thanks for posting this. So many people ask for help but never let people know if the problem was ever resolved. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

hey, even when it's a gift, it can go back. That's what I did when my folks bought me a Sears router. It was so lame, I couldn't bear the thought of keeping it. They understood. I made sure, as always, that I appreciated the thought, and then I told them what I replaced it with. Everyone was happy. I bought a PC (Porter Cable; not computer)

dave

Tim Simm> Just thought I'd post the answer to my "bit won't stay in" problem. > >

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

snip They understood. I made sure, as always, that I

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Wow.... cool....I cannot remember that last time my mom spent an hour on the phone griping about something for me.... I musta been 15 or so about 34 years ago... ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Well, I try to be conscientious and give thanks for the help I get. It is nice to get thanks for help (better to get $ ! wooooooooooooo!)

Thanks to all, and guess what?

I routed! YES! I my first pass was a total disaster and I burned the wood and bogged down the bit.

But I soon learned the advantage of a shallower cut and adjusted the depth and it worked fine (except for the lameness of my feeding skills).

I used the miter saw and router to make a picture f4rame from a cheap piece of molding and when my miter trimmer comes in I'll trim it to perfection, paint it (or stain .. not sure), glue it, insert art and...... ahhhhh - spend 3 days of time to save $20 on framing! HAHAHHA

ah, but it has been fun doing it and I can tell them I made the frame by hand!

Thanks again,

Tim

Reply to
Tim Simmons

That's what it's all about.

Next time, you'll spend 2 days and save $30, and then...

Reply to
Dave Balderstone