Collapsible Panel Saw: Optimal Capacity is 10' x 5'?

I'm planning to design and build a collapsible or knock-down panel saw so I can store it in minimal space when not in use. I'll be using what I think are the superior features of various designs making sturdiness and quick assembly/disassembly a priority.

The capacity I have in mind is: 10' x 5' to accommodate 10' x 4' and 5' x 5'. I want to be able to cut Baltic Birch plywood, MDF, plywood, pegboard, and particle board.

I'd like to know what dimensions beyond 10' x 5' I ought to consider as I design this. This would be for woodworking only. Would the more experienced woodworkers here recommend a capacity larger than 10' x 5'? I do not have much experience with material that comes in sheets or panels and do not want to learn after the fact that I should have designed this to accommodate a larger dimension since such and such material only comes in sizes, say, 6' x 6'. The panel saw at Home Depot looks like it can handle very large panels so I wonder what material comes in sizes beyond 10' x 4' and 5' x 5'.

John

Reply to
John L. Poole

| I'm planning to design and build a collapsible or knock-down panel | saw so I can store it in minimal space when not in use. I'll be | using what I think are the superior features of various designs | making sturdiness and quick assembly/disassembly a priority. | | The capacity I have in mind is: 10' x 5' to accommodate 10' x 4' | and 5' x 5'. I want to be able to cut Baltic Birch plywood, MDF, | plywood, pegboard, and particle board. | | I'd like to know what dimensions beyond 10' x 5' I ought to | consider as I design this. This would be for woodworking only. | Would the more experienced woodworkers here recommend a capacity | larger than 10' x 5'? I do not have much experience with | material that comes in sheets or panels and do not want to learn | after the fact that I should have designed this to accommodate a | larger dimension since such and such material only comes in sizes, | say, 6' x 6'. The panel saw at Home Depot looks like it can handle | very large panels so I wonder what material comes in sizes beyond | 10' x 4' and 5' x 5'.

John...

I've seen 4' x 16' Extira panels advertized; but I think your 5' x 10' capacity is adequate for more than 99% of all panel cutting.

I haven't taken time to update the web page for quite a while - but you're welcome to borrow any ideas you find at the link below (to a 6' tall by 10' wide bolt-together panel saw project).

Morris Dovey

I hav posted a "Store Away Panel Saw Station" on ABPW.

Reply to
Tom H

All the right questions, but I might suggest that the best panel saw is no panel saw. I've used plenty of panel saws and never found one that was more universally capable or easier to use than laying a piece of sheet goods down on a pair of saw horses or on a foam sheet on the floor and clamping a straight edge to guide a circular saw. I'd really encourage you to think about why you really want a panel saw. They are not one of the more useful shop tools and you'll probably end up with your circular saw and a straight edge on any given project anyway. I'd submit that there is nothing a panel saw will do for you, or offer, that one of the two approaches I've already mentioned won't do.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

FEIN skillsaw may be the better approach and about the same cost. Maybe less. And, certainly less demanding of shop space while affording far more versatility for the buck. And, you can say you own a FEIN saw!

Reply to
Gooey TARBALLS