Cole jaw stops

Attention turners: I'm new to turning and have experienced two bowls disengage from the cole jaws attached to my Nova chuck. Neither came close to me (whew) but one almost put a ding in the ragtop that shares my shop.

I've been looking for longer stops that are a bit wider at the outer end, to no avail. Any suggestions?

Larry

Reply to
Gramp's shop

You can get some longer screws from Lowes (Metric, I think) and some rubber tubing. I had the same thing happen to me. Was finishing the bottom. I think it partially came loose and caught between the cole jaws and the tool rest and the jaw stops just threw it. It hit the ceiling, then the far wall, came back and hit the top of the table saw and landed at my feet.

I call that a poor man's stress test. That's when I switched to a vacuum chuck for reversing bowls. NEVER had one come off the vacuum chuck.

Reply to
G.W. Ross

Keep an eye out at

a Gast vacuum pump (I got a 230v 1/4horse model for $83). Then get a 6" faceplate from Harbor Frieght

"M3", a 24" length of brakeline tubing (small enough to fit the knockout of your headstock and a length of vacuum tubing, and a circle of

3/4" MDF and a sheet of 1/8" cork. For around $100, you can have a vacuum chuck and not have to worry about things coming out of your Cole jaws.

FWIW

Deb

Reply to
Dr. Deb

Take a jaw and take a stop to a local Machine Shop. Have a drawing of what you want - they do the real drawing.

The cole was for light work on the feet as I reacal.

I got the first chuck and all I could when I was able years ago - used some and need to get back to the exotic stuff.

Mart> Attention turners: I'm new to turning and have experienced two bowls

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Update:

Thanks for the good suggestions. Deb, I'm interested in the notion of a vacuum chuck, but will save that project for a later day.

In the meantime, my local Ace has hard rubber plugs, wider at the top than at the base. I need to drill them for the M6 screws, but as of now I have about $10 in the project and good hopes for a good result.

Larry

Reply to
Gramp's shop

Take a jaw and take a stop to a local Machine Shop. Have a drawing of what you want - they do the real drawing. ================================================================================================= Yes and at $100.00 per hour they will make you whatever you want. This is, of course, assuming that you can find a real machine shop.

Reply to
CW

What is the labor rate do you pay for auto mechanic ?

If you get a full set for $110 isn't that worth it ?

I could do it myself. But my shop is only 30x30 feet. I know of several in town that are many times larger.

The biggest issue is the design.

Mart>

Martin Eastburn