cold

Page 2 of 3

Heh. Crazy like an (arctic) fox. Just wait, C-less... There's f-all to do for six months of the year except plan for tomorrow night.
"Why? What are we gonna do tomorrow night, Brain?"
"The same thing we do every night, Pinky. Try to take over the world!"
On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 05:24:24 -0600, Dave Balderstone

What? -Heat- your -shop-, fer Crom's sake.

Uh, methinks it's time to turn off the boob tube, boy.
-- If you can solve your problem, then what is the need of worrying? If you cannot solve it, then what is the use of worrying? -- Shantideva

She was a level-headed dancer on the road to alcohol And I was just a soldier on my way to Montreal Well she pressed her chest against me About the time the juke box broke Yeah, she gave me a peck on the back of the neck And these are the words she spoke
Chorus: Blow up your T.V. throw away your paper Go to the country, build you a home Plant a little garden, eat a lot of peaches Try an find Jesus on your own
Well, I sat there at the table and I acted real naive For I knew that topless lady had something up her sleeve Well, she danced around the bar room and she did the hoochy-coo Yeah she sang her song all night long, tellin' me what to do
Repeat chorus:
Well, I was young and hungry and about to leave that place When just as I was leavin', well she looked me in the face I said "You must know the answer." "She said, "No but I'll give it a try." And to this very day we've been livin' our way And here is the reason why
We blew up our T.V. threw away our paper Went to the country, built us a home Had a lot of children, fed 'em on peaches They all found Jesus on their own
(John Prine- Spanish Pipedream)
On 1/24/2011 2:01 AM, Robatoy wrote:

It's a cold (for us), wet +49F here in Houston.
Judging by the number of folks wRecing mid day to day, it's either too cold or too wet, or both, to be making sawdust.
Although I did spend the morning futzing and fiddlin' with Festool technology while cutting some drawer bottoms to length out in the garage, which is currently set up as a material storage/cutting area.
Don't mind cold, and don't mind wet (unless I'm duck or goose hunting), but the combination gets more unpleasant with each added year.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
"Swingman" wrote:

Was in Deer Park, TX with the relative humidity pushing 80%-90% and the temps in the high 50s.
Never been so cold in my life.
A close 2nd was in a SafeWay warehouse in South Philly.
Both times had to spend about an hour in a bath tub full of warm/hot water in order to warm up enough to walk down to the bar and rejoin the human race.
Lew
On 1/24/2011 7:55 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Know the feeling .. spent a few winters in the cold and snow in Germany, but have never been so bone chillin' cold as on the Gulf Coast on a damp winter day.
It was like that all day today, and it will hit a rainy +36F tonight ... nasty weather by any definition.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
"Swingman" wrote:

Forgot to mention, wind was coming in off the gulf at about 10-15 knots.
Nothing serious, but it just made things feel that much worse.
Lew
On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 18:27:26 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"

Nor-Easter blowin' at about 33F, bye!!! Then y'all'll know what cold is!!!! Or stand at the corner of Portage and Main in Winterpeg. Or in the wind-tunnel of Queen Street in Toronto when the wind is coming in off Lake Ontario at 30 knots at -22C. The wind speed on the ground between the skyscrapers can reach double the "out in the open" speed. Makes 80% humidity at 50F with a strong shore breze almost balmy in comparison!!!!! (not denying it is far from comfortable though!!)

I ferried a sailboat across part of Lake Erie in November, with a water temperature of about 36F, and an air temperature of about 15F with the wind blowing about 25 knots.
Nothing like that damp cold.
--
Jim in NC

"Morgans" wrote:

Before coming to CA, Lake Erie was my home waters.
Sailing in November was limited to taking the boat to be hauled for the winter.
November on the Great Lakes: AKA: The Wicked Witch.
Remember the "Fitz"? It went down in November.
The amount of money to get me to set sail across Lake Erie (30-50 miles) in November hasn't been printed yet.
A front can come thru and give you a completely different set of weather conditions in less than an hour.
Just my $0.05.
Lew
Ah, to be young and foolish, again!

I have seen that happen not in Nov, and it kicked the shit out of us. The only choice at the time was throwing out the anchor. It held.
In the western end, the shallowness made the wave faces (12 foot estimated) pretty damn steep. The outboard kicker was replaced with an inboard before the next year. After more experience had been gained, we put in two reef points, and got a storm jib, and a sea anchor. I would have sailed through it with that new equipment and knowledge.
--
Jim in NC

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 00:01:56 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

Just do up the top button.
P in Winterpeg
--- ---
On Jan 24, 3:11 pm, snipped-for-privacy@mts.net wrote:

Winterpeg aka Mosquitotown.... gawd you guys grow them big and fat and hungry over there....
No, just tough it out
len
"Robatoy" wrote in message
minus 4 F
Maybe I should turn the heat on?
/canuckistani

A balmy 0F this morning. Dog did not want to stay out too long, dragged me back inside after 5 minutes even with her coat on. A serious ass-kicking expected from a weather system crawling up from Detroit/Chicago... already labelled STORM OF THE CENTURY by those who live for the day they can call a storm a STORM OF THE CENTURY.

Not to worry.
You live in a banana belt, right?
On Jan 31, 9:39am, "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote:

I do indeed. But when it gets really cold, you start hearing about kids hurting themselves plunging from the diving board, through the ice, into the swimming pools...kids...... kids I tell ya...
On 1/31/11 10:23 AM, Robatoy wrote:

Not to mention the increase in dental visits, from eating frozen bananas.
--
Froz...

Robatoy wrote:

Not terribly difficult given the century is barely over a decade gone so far ... :)
On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 06:01:19 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

The forecast for my area calls for the possibility of 8" to 16" between Tuesday evening and Wednesday morning. A piece of cake.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA