coffins

Just Wondering

Isn't there a famous poem about feeding the ocean fishes that entree?

Reply to
Bill

Viewing the video of commercial casket making, they note that the "mattress", in the bottom of the casket, is made of shredded wood called "wood wool". Another name for wood wool is "excelsior", readily available from American Excelsior, Co. -

Sonny

Don't forget the vapour barrier, if using insulation, and the positive ventilation system.

----------------

Puckdropper

Reply to
m II

Reply to
Pat Barber

I was thinking of this (Mississippi) John Hurt tune:

Let the mermaids flirt with me

Blues all on the ocean, blues all in the air. Can't stay here no longer, I have no steamship fare. When my earthly trials are over, carry my body out in the sea. Save all the undertaker bills, let the mermaids flirt with me.

I do not work for pleasure, earthly peace I'll see no more. The only reason I work at all, is drive the world from my door. When my earthly trials are over, carry my body out in the sea. Save all the undertaker bills, let the mermaids flirt with me.

My wife controls our happy home, a sweetheart I can not find. The only thing I can call my own, is a troubled and a worried mind. When my earthly trials are over, carry my body out in the sea. Save all the undertaker bills, let the mermaids flirt with me.

Blues all in my body, my darling has forsaken me. If I ever see her face again, I have to swim across the sea. When my earthly trials are over, carry my body out in the sea. Save all the undertaker bills, let the mermaids flirt with me.

Blues all on the ocean, blues all in the air. Can't stay here no longer, I have no steamship fare. When my earthly trials are over, carry my body out in the sea. Save all the undertaker bills, let the mermaids flirt with me.

Reply to
Bill

I like it!

-- I merely took the energy it takes to pout and wrote some blues. --Duke Ellington

Reply to
Larry Jaques

John Hurt had such a gentle voice it would about put one asleep. Kinda fun to pick some of this stuff on guitar though.

Reply to
Bill

If you can pick his music on the gitfiddle, you's a much better guitar player than I. 'Course, most people are...

-- I merely took the energy it takes to pout and wrote some blues. --Duke Ellington

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Isn't it time we laid this topic to rest?

If you can pick his music on the gitfiddle, you's a much better guitar player than I. 'Course, most people are...

Reply to
Josepi

I'm sure I didn't always play "up to speed" and it has been a number of years since I tried. But, for the aspiring fingerstyle-guitarist, I can't think of much of a better place to start than with MJH. It amused me at the time that I got a MJH tab book (Stephen Grossman) with a full CD--oops cassette, of tunes, for less than the price of the recording by itself. Just play the the notes in order that they are in the tab, sing along, and repeat! Though I'm sure Doc Watson and Chet Atkins would play a lot more notes than are in the tab. Too many ways to have fun! : )

Reply to
Bill

We were fishin' for suitable goin' away music!

Do you think the inclusion of a wind-up music box would be tacky?

I'm not sure whether it belongs on the inside or the outside.

Here's the lyrics to "Make me a pallet on your floor"

Make me down a pallet on your floor. Make me down... Make me down a pallet down, soft and low Make me a pallet on your floor.

Up the country, 20 miles or more. I'm going up the country where the cold, sleet and snow. I'm going up the country, where the cold, sleet and snow. No tellin' how much further I may go.

Just make me down ... Make me down... Make me a pallet, down, soft and low. Make me a pallet on your floor.

I think I'll put the music box in the inside! There's a coupld more versus if anyone is interested. They are not hard to find.

Reply to
Bill

Stop trying to wind me up! Save it for the spring when things are not so busy.

It's a dead issue, anyway, and not many are going to undertake a new hobby, especially coffin making! It wouldn't be a gravey job to get the finish perfect, and we wood have to rehearse the process a lot. You dig ? Don't be pining to discuss it later?

Good wreath, man! If it's any bearing let's take a poll on the matter. We could be lining up to close this case 'cause they can't handle it.

Do you think the inclusion of a wind-up music box would be tacky?

I'm not sure whether it belongs on the inside or the outside.

I think I'll put the music box in the inside! There's a coupld more versus if anyone is interested. They are not hard to find.

Reply to
Josepi

It is often not just the cemetery, but the government that specifies such things.

It is often not just the cemetery, but the _government_ that specifies such things. EPA requirements for protecting the ground-water/aquifer, for example.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

I thought that nowdays, most caskets are not buried directly in the ground, but are placed in buried concrete vaults.

Reply to
Just Wondering

Sadly I go to a number of services as we say good buy to another brother. The hole is dug, the concrete crypt is placed then the 'box' is held up with straps over this. Many wives leave after the service, some wait to see the casket lowered into the vault.

Texas put in the law some years ago due to lakes and highways running through towns and grave yards.

LA started it years ago due to the high water table - crypts are on top of the ground - less they float anyway.

Lately with the lack of rain, lakes have dried up in many areas. Some graveyards have been found that were lost. Many very old country yards were last in tall grass and trees. These were a hundred years old or so and maybe the community were wiped out by Indians or disease. Either one would just cause others to stay away. The recovery of blanket covered bodies is not easy. Most is gone.

It is easier for highway departments to come in and move a yard from one place to anther if every one is in a concrete crypt. Just keeping the markers with them is the trick.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

FWIW, after dealing with the funeral home for my father's burial, my mother added a provision in her will that she was to be cremated and buried in a cardboard box.

Reply to
J. Clarke

My brother recently passed away. He had always said that he wanted a plain pine coffin, and he was serious about it. My sister in law honored his wishes, only to find that a "Plain Pine Coffin" cost almost twice as much as a standard commercial one. Go figure!

Reply to
kaylward

The main reason that plans are not available is the legal aspects. Most states, and even some local jurisdictions have very specific requirements for the construction on caskets and coffins. I would think that you may want to start by checking with the local health department, local undertakers and or funeral homes. No sense in doing all that work, only to find that the design is illegal for use because of some little known requirement like Material selection, or insect repellant coatings etc.. I know that most require certain types of joinery, glues and hardware. Lots of homework needs to be done on a project like this.

Reply to
kaylward