Coffin Plans

I am looking for plans for a simple coffin. You know the kind you would see in the old western movies. They would taper out from the head to about the shoulders and then taper back in to the feet. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I do not have much time left!! I couldn't resist the previous line.

-- I do not have much time left!!
I used to know of a website that had coffin plans but the link seems to be dead.
-- I couldn't resist the previous line.
Me either.

Look here: http://wayneofthewoods.com/coffin%202.html
Don't ever laugh when a hearse goes by, Or you may be the next to die.
They wrap you up in a bloody sheet, And bury you under about six feet.
All goes well for a couple of weeks, But then your coffin begins to leak.
The worms crawl in, the worms crawl out, The worms play pinochle on your snout.
Your stomach turns a slimy green, And puss comes out of you like whipped cream.
You lap it up with a piece of bread, And that's what you eat when you are dead.
Haven't thought of that one for years!

I don't know why, but I find myself singing "The worms crawl in, the worms crawl out" lines every now and then. Just one of those things that has stuck with me for all these years.

The other day, I was thinking about the old west era and these types of coffins. Not so much about how to make one of these coffins myself, but about who, in that era, actually made the coffins. Would an undertaker of the era, also be the one to make those coffins? Or would the undertaker typically buy them from some other craftsman?

remove ".invalid".
On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 11:25:37 -0500, "Michael Faurot"

An undertaker would prepare the body, and typically without embalming. The coffin making was often done by a woodworker or furniture maker. It is not so unusual for a woodworker to make his/her own coffin or for a family member. I'm fine with it, but some might think it a bit ghoulish.

Thanks for the info.

That's not a bad idea--make my own coffin or urn. May as well make it myself, with the wood, joinery and finish I want and have it come out the way I want it to, rather than have a family member shell out a fortune for something made at a factory that I probably wouldn't like anyway. :)

remove ".invalid".
Michael Faurot wrote:

I wasn't planning on needing one myself... :)

Rockler is having a half price sale on their books One of them is a how to build caskets. Lou

I seem to remember reading in Landis' The Workbench Book, that the relationship in those days between craftsman and client was of the cradle to grave variety and the craftsman would show up at the interment to drive the nails into his (former) client's coffin. No word on whether he actually made the coffin, but it would seem logical.
jc

That's why the undertaker and the furniture maker often shared a building . . . .
--
Light travels faster than sound; this is why some people appear bright
until you hear them speak

Early 20th century found many of the furniture stores that doubled as the local undertaker. There are still family owned businesses that are in both furniture and funeral operations albeit separate locations these days.
trvlnmny wrote:

I have NO PLANS for one in the near future :)
regards John
trvlnmny wrote:

Try here:
http://www.mhp-casketkits.com/casket_plans.php
And here is a toast for a young person, just for the hell of it:
May your coffin be made of the finest wood from a 100 year old oak tree,...which I plan to plant tomorrow.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.