coconut wood veneer?

Hi, I've seen coconut shell wood used many times for small decorative pieces, but I haven't seen any used as a veneer or on larger objects. I assume this is because coconut shell wood is small and fragile and probably doesn't lend itself well to these applications, but it made me wonder if there is anyone out there using coconut shell wood for anything like that. Just curious...

Reply to
Millie

Well, I don't see any real reason why the "wood" of coconut stems (as in

, not the material of the shell ) could not be sold as a veneer. It is hard and brittle, so it would be more likely to be encountered in laminated products, such as flooring? PvR

Millie schreef

Reply to
P van Rijckevorsel

The wood is not coconut (a fruit), it's PALM (a tree).

On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 07:20:42 GMT, "P van Rijckevorsel" pixelated:

------------------------------ REAL men don't need free plans ------------------------------

REAL websites

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I can't imagine there is much "wood" to be had from a coconut palm. The trunk is more like woven fiber and a significant amount of sand (tears up a chain saw). I suppose these could be cleaned up and made into some kind of MDF type material.

Reply to
Gfretwell

Careful, careful. There are over 2500 species of palms, so PALM by itself does not say much. PvR

Larry Jaques schreef

Reply to
P van Rijckevorsel

I have used coconut palm wood (and it is a wood )as match lining in a couple of houses I did work on. It is a bit brittle and you dont want to get any splinters as they go septic quite quickly, but in all it is a nice light wood.

Reply to
Neil Currey

On 02 Sep 2003 18:38:50 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comGreg (Gfretwell) pixelated:

I mentioned that species to Chuck in an email today in reference to the page. Ain't no sech aminal as "coconut wood".

-- Friends Don't Let Friends Eat Turkey and Drive --

Website Programming and Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Actually, wasn't the OP talking about making stuff out of coconut *shell* "wood" in the first place?

Reply to
Silvan

Neil Currey schreef

  • + + How can you tell it is a wood? PvR
Reply to
P van Rijckevorsel

"nucifera" varieties of the "cocos". That get's it down to a pretty managable number.

  • + + Careful, Careful. Although there are over 2500 species of palms there is only one species in the genus Cocos ;-)

PvR Note that this is something different entirely from cocuswood

Reply to
P van Rijckevorsel

Huh? Coconut palms are Cocas Nucifera and have the familial coconut fruit "Queen palms" are Cocas Plumosa. They have a cluster of about a thousand "jawbreaker" sized nuts in a fibrous pod. Queen palms are a cruel joke for homeowners. They are like cats. Real cute when they are small and a pain in the ass when they grow up.

Reply to
Gfretwell

In article , snipped-for-privacy@aol.comGreg says... ...

Sheesh. Ever had a dog? There's a PITA for you. Cats are clean and independent. I'd trade my dog for a cat in a heartbeat if I wasn't attached to the smelly bastard.

Cheers, Abe

Reply to
Abe

Wed, Sep 3, 2003, 4:27pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@aol.comGreg (Gfretwell) puts out: They are like cats. Real cute when they are small and a pain in the ass when they grow up.

What? Are you changing the subject, or what? You just described my ex wife.

JOAT Failure is not an option. But it is definitely a possibility.

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 2 Sep 2003. Some tunes I like.

Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT

What's it called then? Pith?

Just wondering.

Reply to
Silvan

Hmmmm... I own three dogs and two cats. I wouldn't sell any of the three mutts even if someone were offering, but I'd let you have both of my cats and throw in an old tiller for free just to get someone to take the damn things. I sling food at them twice a day, and that's all the interaction they want to have with me. Ungrateful bastards.

Reply to
Silvan

Probably why I've been married for 10 years. She was a pain in the ass when I married her. Still a pain in the ass. No surprises.

Reply to
Silvan

You're kidding, right? Going back to the OP's original question, and adding emphasis:

Hi, I've seen coconut *shell* wood used many times for small decorative

I assume this is because coconut *shell* wood is small and fragile and

me wonder if there is anyone out there using coconut *shell* wood for

Reply to
Silvan

Silvan schreef

  • + + Actually that is a pretty good question. Nobody seems to have come up with a good name so far. In many ways the stem of a cocnut palm is comparable to a corn stalk, but bigger and a lot harder.

Of course if you define wood as anything that can be handled by woodworking tools it may be called a wood ;-) PvR

Reply to
P van Rijckevorsel

On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 23:58:31 -0400, Silvan pixelated:

If you're getting a pain in your ass when you two have sex, methinks you might be doing it wrong, Mikey. =:-0

-- Friends Don't Let Friends Eat Turkey and Drive --

Website Programming and Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Who said anything about having sex? I think I vaguely remember something like that, a long time ago, but I'm not quite sure.

You know about the three stages of marriage, don't you?

Reply to
Silvan