cocobolo combs & allergy?

I'm planning on making a set of combs for my girlfriend, and was all set to use cocobolo because it looks great and supposedly can deal well with water. Then I started reading about the 'poison-ivy like' allergy associated with the dust from this wood. I'm not worried about that because I can deal with the dust while I'm making the combs. What has me concerned is that she will be using the combs on her head. Is there an allergy problem with the solid wood too? If I make her something that causes her head to break out, she won't be so happy...
Thanks Chad
<Fix the edu for email responses...>
As they say, some are sensitive to it, the rest will become sensitive. It's the oils/chemicals in the wood, which are made more available when they're spread in dust. Damn good thing it isn't a manufactured product, or we'd have endless lawsuits....
That said, her exposure will be much less than yours.

Chad Bender wrote:

There are thousands of cocobolo pens out there and California hasn't banned them (yet).
Don't know about your example, if we look at the state that California is in... In any case, most any finish that seals the wood should provide sufficient protection. Gerry

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 17:30:33 -0400, Gerry wrote:

Ok, then can anyone recommend a good, unobtrusive finish to use on this? I've read that because it is oily it doesn't take most finishes very well.
Thanks Chad
Standard tactic is to remove surface oil with a solvent like acetone prior to application of the finish.
Wiping varnish, maybe? Lots of chemicals in hair treatments to interact if careless. Urethane would be a good choice.