Coating an oak table top with epoxy.

I need some ideas on how best to create a dam around the edge of the table. I have already put an edge on it, I used a 1/2" round over, leaving a 3/32 edge at the top. I wish to use the pourable epoxy but I don't want to let it run over the edges. The edge I will finish seperately. Any Ideas?

Reply to
Handyman

Are you sure you need it? Have you tried? I think that most of the products such as Mirrorcoat sold by woodcraft are designed to use the surface tension of the piece to prevent the epoxy from running over the edge. This assumes that the epoxy is mixed to the correct viscosity, but I don't think it is terribly difficult. I would try it on a mock up made of scrap.

Reply to
woodworker88

RE: Subject

1)Epoxy does not bond well to white oak.

2) If this is an outdoor table, epoxy has no UV resistance.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Although it's a problem for structural glueups, I'd expect it to bond well enough for this sort of surface coating. I've used filled epoxies successfully for hiding knots or crack filling.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Mylar (polyester sheet) as a release layer, then a vertical wall of MDF to support it. Screw or clamp it in place as needed.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

As soon as you fill the epoxy, it is a whole new ball in play.

Filling cracks and covering knots as above should work quite well.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Plumber's Putty.

Reply to
no(SPAM)vasys

Masking tape with the right amount exposed over the lip might do it too. Just make sure that the stiffness of the paper isn't overwhelmed by the epoxy.

Michael

Reply to
Herman Family

I've used a one part epoxy called "POXY COAT". It is approved for food. I originally used it on a cider press.

No need to flood, just put a coulple coats on. I've had a red oak table outside in SE MI for 3 years no with no problems.

Dave

SD: No affiliati> I need some ideas on how best to create a dam around the edge of the

Reply to
defenderrestoration

You should let it flow over the edge. You can sand the drips off later. Check out

.

Preston

Reply to
Preston Andreas